Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firffighter

Bought Xr600,might Be Wrong Bike 4 Me

23 posts in this topic

I bought a very nice 1993 XR600 a couple of months ago and now I think it might not be the right bike for me. I love to ride it on the forest service and jeep roads around here. Yesterday I rode with a few guys from work on a 30 mile ride that included long sections or tight, technical terrain as well as open powerline runs with long hills. The bike was a blast on those long powerline hills, but when we hit the tight stuff, I really did not enjoy the bike at all. I have geared it down to 13/48, but the weight is just too much for that technical stuff. It is a handful to turn in that tight stuff and the weight wants to push you through every corner. I have riden off road bikes for over 25 years off and on and have had every kind of bike imaginable. I guess I am getting old, because it wore me out. I just sold a KDX200 to buy the XR600 because I was ready to be done with 2 strokes. Before the KDX I had an XR250, but it was just not enough bike and was boring.

I actually rode me buddies 2002 WR250f yesterday, and I loved it. It is light, nimble, and has a ton more snap than my old xr250. I hit a couple of the long steep powerline hills on the wr, and it torques right up them and revs forever, and I'm a 200 lb. guy! I was impressed.

I hate to get rid of the XR because it is unbelievably clean and has low miles and they are hard to find, but I want a bike that will be fun to ride in the tight stuff as well as the open terrain. I mostly ride jeep road type of stuff, but hit the tight trails on a regular basis. I also ride with my 3 boys on there XR's often too. I guess I am trying to find a bike that will do it all and it probably doesn't exist.

Any suggestions, or anyone been in this situation. My other issues it that my budget has to be $3000 or less so that leaves the used market only. I could pick up a wr426, or wr250 for that price, or a xr400. I dont want to trash honda because I've owned a ton and have 3 in the garage now (the boys bikes), but I sure liked that WR250 and they are the same price as the XR400's. Sorry for the long thread.

It may not be right for you, it is a big bike and a little heavy for super tight trails. However let me say it is pretty much capable of everything. It just takes some getting used too, it took me a few months to get used to throwing it around. You just have to learn how to handle the bike, I find on tight sections standing up for me, makes the bike a whole lot more managable. I wouldnt give up on it just yet, like I said its not really designed for goat trails but you can learn to ride them. Good luck, oh and I might add, keeping the bike even if you dont ride it is a good idea. One of the reasons people love this bike is because you can run it wide open doing 100+ with a blown head gasket, a warped piston, leaking oil and making almost no compression and the bike wont quit on you. :thumbsup:

And I thought the XR600 was wrong for me. I do not have no where near as much riding time as you do and the XR600 works for me. Bought the 600 after a very short time of riding an XL250R. I'm not no double black diamond rider, but I can get up and down some black diamond trails and scoot across some soft and sand roads along with the tight and technical single track. At first I figured it was too much bike, but after some riding time I'm keeping it!.. Worn out numerious rear tires and getting ready to purchase my 2nd front. Glad I never sold it.

I feel your pain. My 600 beats me up in the tight stuff. Ready for battle it's about 305lbs. I'm 150 with gear. When I get it stuck and have to turn it around on a hill it's a two person job.

When the group is planning on a technical or tight singletrack ride I take my wife's XR200. It's a feeble pile of crap but I can nearly pick it up and carry it (at least one end). It's a lot easier to modulate 12hp than it is to modulate 40hp.

That being said, I love my 600 and won't sell it until it's worn out. My advice for you is get a second bike... something like a late-80s XR250 for $750 or so and use that as your "woods" bike. I'm building an XR200-powered CR500 for those tight and nasty trails. I'm also high bidder on a complete 1981 XR200 on eBay for $100. That motor will go into something else, like an 80 frame or something.

Whenever there is a reason to have more than one bike, jump on it.

Remember what the Romans said: Carpe motorcircuitous!

"O"

Nobody mentioned the CRF450... I don't own one, and have never ridden one, but if I believe what I hear on this web site, that bike has as much power as the 600, is lighter, & easier to handle in tighter stuff.

Now your budget of $3k might not be able to afford it, but that would probably be a better fit for you. Find someone that owns one and ask if you can ride it.

Seems a shame to get rid of such a good bike. Can you dual sport it?

CRF450R ias an amazing bike but you probably can't touch one in that price range. XR400 is a heck of a nice bike to. Not "light" but really competent.

How much do you want for it and any pics? You shuld turn on your PMS so people can send you messages

I'd buy a used KTM 400 or 450 EXC if I were you. Sounds just like the bike your looking for. Their reliable, made well, and easy to work on.

my xr 400 is great in the tight stuff not as good as a WR or a CRF but I can't kill it. The bike never let me down and I've given it a very hard time. Even taken it on some adventure rides 1500 Ks plus. Sand mud rocks no probs. Never ridden a 600 though they look a lot heaver and cumbersome then my 400

Dont give up just yet. I had a 1986 xl600r same as you. It was a blast as you said. It was very heavy in the woods. When i had it i was 21 ans about 145 lbs. after a while i was able to throw it aroume insted of the other way around. the bike as great lots of power. i pulled many of my friends out of the mud with it. give it a bit and you will get use to it.

CRF s are beautiful bikes but do not compare to the XR in amy way shape or form. my buddy picked up a CRF last season and after we ride he is out messing with it to get it to run right. I start mine up and go. CRF s are constant ajustments. nice bike. but XRs are maint. free.

CRF might wear you out also since the power hits on & off hard! XR is more predictable tractor like.

Besides having a ton of torque on hand has gotten me out of situations where smaller/lighter/newer/shineier bikes have trouble. When it doubt WOT gets you through the trouble. Just make sure you have the grip strength to hold on. I think you will learn to love the bike if you give it some riding time. Find some single track close by and just ride it as much as possible until you can handle the bike. Of course you do have to have some muscle to handle the bike, if your a buck o 5 with gear best of luck to you. :thumbsup:

Here's the thing. I don't get to ride as much as I would like, and want something that wont wear me out if I go every once in a while. I guess if I were only doing open terrain, then it would be a fun bike. But, I do a wide variety of riding, including fire roads, tight technical stuff, poking behind the kids, and even an occasional trip to the dunes. I was going to go the dual sport route with the bike, but my wife says if she finds me riding on pavement, then thats it. I like my wife, so.... I have dont want a 2 stoke anymore (just sold the KDX, and KTM 200 before that). I guess the only thing left is one of these new fangled 4 strokes. I'm a little nervous about the reliability of these new 4 strokes, but it sounds like the yamaha wr's are pretty sound bikes. Thanks for everyone's input. Keep the advice coming.

Here's the thing. I don't get to ride as much as I would like, and want something that wont wear me out if I go every once in a while. I guess if I were only doing open terrain, then it would be a fun bike. But, I do a wide variety of riding, including fire roads, tight technical stuff, poking behind the kids, and even an occasional trip to the dunes. I was going to go the dual sport route with the bike, but my wife says if she finds me riding on pavement, then thats it. I like my wife, so.... I have dont want a 2 stoke anymore (just sold the KDX, and KTM 200 before that). I guess the only thing left is one of these new fangled 4 strokes. I'm a little nervous about the reliability of these new 4 strokes, but it sounds like the yamaha wr's are pretty sound bikes. Thanks for everyone's input. Keep the advice coming.

I also don't get out much, but I kept with it.

Stock gearing? I changed my front sprocket. Went down one tooth from orginal. Believe 13 teeth now on front. Major difference for up and down technical hills. I also installed handlebar risers that also moved the handlebars up 1 inch and forward 1 inch. Another major difference in rider comfort.

I did go with 13/48 gearing and have Windham Protapers w/ risers. I am not saying this bike cant be ridden in the tight stuff, it is just a fight to do so, and I am not sure I want a bike I have to fight. I do love the extra power on hand at any time and to be able to pull any hill around, but for putting with the family and tight trails, I just dont know. Does anyone use the 600/650 to ride with their kids/family? Would I regret selling the 600 and getting a newer WR250F or WR450F? Anyone been able to compare these to their XR's? I appreciate the input.