Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
6fiddy

Which Rekluse is best? the Z or the Pro?

41 posts in this topic

Im going to buy one but I need the info on which is best and why. As Dr Evil would say..."throw me a freakin bone here" I need the info!:thumbsup:

Pro maintains a somewhat 'normal' clutch feeling for feathering the clutch if you want to... is a bit easier to install... and has some higher quality parts included.

Downside is it is more expensive and I don't believe Rekluse is offering it with a Perch Adjustor if you wanted that.

The basic benefit of both is the same. I got the Pro w/ a Perch adjustor (they initially offered it when they first started shipping). My buddy installed the regular Zstart on his bike at about the same time. They both work great and unless you want the 'normal' clutch feel, save some $ and get the ZStart.

But do they feel the same? Does one hook up better than the other? maintenance?

Throttle 'roll on' feel... identical.

Clutch lever feel (if you choose to grab it... which there is really no need w/ a Rekluse )... not at all the same between the two.

Pro feels 'somewhat' like a normal clutch lever pull. ZStart does not.

Otherwise they perform pretty much the same.

I don't think there would be much difference in maintenance.

Call the guys at Rekluse and talk to them if you have more detailed questions. I've found them to be quite reasonable and helpful.

Idaho,

How do like the Rekluse pro? I just got an '07 YZ450 and ride gnarly single track, rocky hills, sand washes, etc. I think my situation would be a perfect candidate, but the stock clutch is reliable and the clutch pull is like butter.

Idaho,

How do like the Rekluse pro? I just got an '07 YZ450 and ride gnarly single track, rocky hills, sand washes, etc. I think my situation would be a perfect candidate, but the stock clutch is reliable and the clutch pull is like butter.

It's one of those cases where you can't adequatly describe it, and you don't really appreciate how much you benefit from it until after you have it.

Desert riding and sand washes... nice but not that big of a benefit.

Tight and technical (woods riding, roots, rock gardens etc...) and hill climbing (it feathers WAY better than I do... and I came from two strokes and like feathering) are where it really excels.

Unless you just plain cant afford it (they are definitely not cheap), if you ride a lot of tight and technical, get it and install it... and I'd be willing to bet that after 2 or 3 rides, you'll be saying it is the best mod you've made (and some of the best money you've spent).

I am for sure one of the old time standard clutch guys (44yr old A rider) and decided to get the Rekluse Pro (cause i could) i figured I could try it and if I didnt like it I could just box it back up and save it for one of my other bikes. Well I have to tell you itll never come off my bike, like stated its hard to explain but it does everything great and i have seen no places/conditions where is hasnt helped

out in overall speed. unlike some I have been talking with i liked it from the start and I have felled to stall my 250F with the AC. If you think you may like it and can afford it get it you wont regret it. If this is cheating im now a cheater.lol:applause:

I have the Zstart in my 426. Only have about 3 hours on it but I love it. My next bike will have one too.

I have the regular z-start (without perch adjuster) on my 426 and the z-start pro on my '06 and I would recommend the Pro. At RPMs above idle you have normal clutch operation. The Pro doesn't come with the perch adjuster option because it is not needed...your stock clutch lever adjuster provides all the adjustment necessary.

The Pro comes with an new clutch hub and pressure plate along with a few different internal springs that controll the stall speed or lock up rate. Rekluse includes a matrix-type sheet that lists different combinations of springs to use for your desired engagement and a couple recommended setups. It is VERY simple when it's in front of you.

Like Markit, I am a 40+ A racer (and spent most of my life on 2Ts) so using a clutch is second nature to me but having the Rekluse is the best mod I have ever done to a bike.

I have the Pro on my 07 and love it. I can use it just like a standard clutch if I choose to. Sometimes the clutch lever is needed if you are bogging a little coming out of a turn, then you can feather the clutch a bit to bring your RPM`s up if needed. I can also tip my bike over while in gear and not worry about stalling it.

I would go for the Pro.

i have the correct gap settings on my rekluse , when im chewing up a hill and i hop a log, just before i snap the throttle to get my front end up and once i get over it stalls. What the hell? oh, it did it on flat too, i was coming up to a log at just over idle speed, enough rmp that the rekluse is engaged quite well, and i snap the throttle and it stalls.. WAT THE Heck. why is this happening. why is it stalling. it wouldent be that big of a deal other then its motto is wont stall under regular conditions. and well this is regular. not 2 mention its a freaking 450 4 stroke and its hell trying to start it.

It's not the clutch causing the stall. It sounds like you are maybe flaming out by giving it too much throttle off idle. Make sure you are jetted right and have adjusted your fuel screw correctly.

the jetting is spot on, but i just installed a procircut fuel screw, not knowing what sound or w/e to look for i cannot properly adjust it any ideas?

the jetting is spot on, but i just installed a procircut fuel screw, not knowing what sound or w/e to look for i cannot properly adjust it any ideas?

the rekluse (at least the old style) is very tempermental to jetting and will do that when the pilot circuit is too rich;before i went to a edelbrock carb(totally cured the problem) i'd have to reach down and lean out the fuel screw in the middle of a race as the ambient and engine temps increased or it would just cough and die at the worst time possible....even though it was properly jetted;basically it needs to run on the edge of too lean:ride:

wow. for the price i paid for this bike. you would think that problems like this would be cured. i paid 5,000 for a brand new 06 rm250 a while back. right when it came out. bought a rekluse. first try she went in perfect. won countless races. was convinced to buy a 450, WORST MISTAKE I HAVE EVER MADE.

Sorry for the bash, this just wrecks my Hare scrambles racing. i like it for moto for everything except the suspension.

i needed to get that out. before i go to sleep

i have the correct gap settings on my rekluse , when im chewing up a hill and i hop a log, just before i snap the throttle to get my front end up and once i get over it stalls. What the hell? oh, it did it on flat too, i was coming up to a log at just over idle speed, enough rmp that the rekluse is engaged quite well, and i snap the throttle and it stalls.. WAT THE Heck. why is this happening. why is it stalling. it wouldent be that big of a deal other then its motto is wont stall under regular conditions. and well this is regular. not 2 mention its a freaking 450 4 stroke and its hell trying to start it.

I am having almost the same exact problem with my 01 426. I did an enduro this weekend with her and she would stall going into corners or on the down side of small hills were I would gas it to get over then and let off the trottle to go down the otherside quickly. I could adjust the idle on the bike and it somewhat cured the problem but at that point my rekluse would drag which I knwo will cause premature wear of thecluthc plates. I am cluelss when it comes to this jetting thing. I understand that is probably my problem but have not clue where to start. Can someone please help me. I live in florida dn ride at sea level mostly in high humidity and temos are nromally in the 80-90 degree range. thanks for you help in advance.:ride:

beasley,

try a smaller pilot jet,especially when temps are up towards 90;you seem to be involved with a few groups i'm sure someone could help you out 1st hand if you asked around your group:thumbsup:

I put the Z Pro on my 06 450 and had the same stalling issues that is mentioned here. After messing with the jetting for a little while and things not getting any better, I sent my carb off to ZIP-TY for their FCR carb mod. Once I got the carb back and installed, I've not had that same type of stalling.