Exhaust for 2007 yz 450

I finally got my 07 jetted perfectly or pretty darn close and got to ride an 06 and then my 07 back to back. The 06 definitely has the low end hit that reminds me of my 04 yz 450 while the 07 just seems to deliver the power more precise and lacks the hard hit. For the TT'ers out there that have the 07 and got a pipe for it..did getting a new pipe turn the 07 into the power characteristics of an 06 or just make the bike rev higher and still keep the same motor characteristics of the stock pipe? I got the jd jet kit for it and that makes a great improvement but i am not sure about getting a pipe?

In a Dirt Rider magazine test of the 2007 yz450f, they installed just the FMF Megabomb header, using the stock muffler and said it showed a big gain everywhere in the power. $350 for the header, which is supposed to reduce sound by a little bit and you get to keep the quiet stock muffler. Win win:ride:

In a Dirt Rider magazine test of the 2007 yz450f, they installed just the FMF Megabomb header, using the stock muffler and said it showed a big gain everywhere in the power. $350 for the header, which is supposed to reduce sound by a little bit and you get to keep the quiet stock muffler. Win win:ride:

$350 for just the header..?:worthy:

Damn thing will probably split a weld or get dented and all that money is down the drain.

I have heard good things about it's performance, but $350 is just not worth the risk.

I payed $350 for my full MRD system and it comes with a warranty. (the MRD now sells for $399)

The headers are super high quality and only come in titanium. Thats why they are so pricey...and the design is ingenious:prof: For the amount of power that is gained and the decrease in sound output, i think it is worth the money. How many exhausts do you know of that decrease sound and ADD power??

One more thing...Because it is constructed of titanium, it weighs less than other aftermarket headers.

...the design is ingenious:prof:

It is a very intriguing concept. The blister at mid pipe is a little like an unpacked glasspack muffler with fewer and larger holes in it. What it does is damp the pressure waves in the header and cause the engine to "see" the exhaust as having no fixed length, which makes it effective across a much wider power range than possible with standard headers.

If you look at dyno charts comparing other systems to FMF systems with 'Bomb headers, you will usually see that there are several systems that have slightly higher peak numbers, but the FMF will be making more power at both the far ends of the curve than others do.

All that being said, they are quite expensive.

I'll be going with the FMF 4.1 carbon with the megabomb header for my 07. Speaking with the SM team manager at Mach 1 Motorsports,he said they obviously test quite a few pipes for their bikes. He said the White Brothers carbon pro made a little more hp, but the downside is that the cannister needs to be packed after every race. I called WB to ask what their recommendation was on repacking their carbon pipes, and even they said probably every 5 - 8 hours depending on how hard you run the bike. Maybe stretch it to 10 -12 hours at the most. I think the repacking kit is something like $40 or $45 also, plus add another $15 or so for shipping. That is just WAY to much money and maintenance for me. FMF pipe needs way less often repacking, and the pipe even has an indicator on it to let you know when it is time to repack. I have seen the FMF pipe for around $775 online.

does anyone know anything about the white brothers mx-4 exhaust...a friend just ordered a slip on and we have never ran white brothers.. from what iv seen in articles it doesnt even look spark arrested...if anyone can get some info for me that would be cool..things like is it spark arrested is it to loud ?

i run the Pro circuit t-4 system and love it...i think any of the systems are great cause no matter what you'll have to dig out of the pocket book anyway

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...