Before I Start Dumping Dollars in My 250F

I really enjoy my 06 50th Ann. 250F. My riding has improved dramatically. Confidence is up and I'm riding it as opposed to it riding me. With the exception of jetting, rubber, 1 tooth larger in the rear, and a fuel screw; she's stock. I rode a very technical track this past weekend and cleared new obstacles. But there are certain jumps I could not clear b/c of lack of power. I tried different gears and lines and still came up short. My fat buddy on his stellar white 07 450 made it look like childs play. The guy did the section seated!!! In the sand section, momentum was damn near loss all together. And there were a couple times when she sounded like she was gonna blow. I've read posts and know what cams, hi comp pistons, pipes, power now / av now, flowed heads, etc... can do. I just don't know how smart it would be for me to dump the dough in a bike that will be 2 yrs old in Sept. Besides, I'd rather spend the dough on suspension, gear (Leatt), etc... I've done the mod thing on my 05 CRF 450 and you just never re-coup the dough.

MY QUESTION

I know it would be much simpler to get a bone stock 06/07 450 (Yammi of course) and be done with it. And although I didn't have this prob with my tried and true 426; I rode like shit on that damn crf. Arm pump, never quite comfortable, sucked in the corners, etc... I know you boys are biased since this is the 450 forum, but any advice is much appreciated. I just don't want to lose the gains I've made on this 250F and start fighting the damn 450 again. :worthy::ride: :ride: ?

The best thing I can suggest, the thing that will tell you the most, is to get your fat buddy to let you take a few laps on his '07. The big YZF is so much different than any '05 or earlier model, or the CRF, that it would take me ten minutes to describe, and you wouldn't believe it. Ride one. They sell themselves.

You're right. It's just funny that I never had a problem with my 426; I rode the hell outta that bike. Had a heavy flywheel wight in the beginning but that was it. Suprisingly, the 05 CRF was just BS. Like I said, just don't wanna lose my gains or the fun factor. Had one of those rare rides this past weekend that makes it all worth while; when things just gel. (other than the under power probs) Thanks for the response grey.

I rode an 00 426 for 5 years, and got my 06 450 last April. I th ink if you liked your 426, you'll like the 06/07. My biggest complaint is that the front tire flat doesn't stick, but it can be made to. I definitely would try riding your buddies white stallion to see what you think- I think your 250F will never forgive you if you do!

I rode an 00 426 for 5 years, and got my 06 450 last April. I th ink if you liked your 426, you'll like the 06/07. My biggest complaint is that the front tire flat doesn't stick, but it can be made to. I definitely would try riding your buddies white stallion to see what you think- I think your 250F will never forgive you if you do!

Good advice

see, im kind of in the same but opposite baskit as you. i have my 426 and i was at the track (Englishtown, Nj) and i was getting really bad arm pump for the first hour or so and there were kids on 250f's that were just ripping and keeping the rpms up and just pinning it over every jump. but the problem is, is that i can't do that on my 426 because i'll just pull a wicked wheelie and barly be able to get ready for the jump. so i am thinking of getting an 08 250f instead of a 450f as planned. i would be racing next year so i would rather have a 250f where i would be able to be faster on and rip but i worried that the power won't be enough.

I had the 426, loved it! One of the best I ever had. Did everything on it: occ. trail (seldom), sand dunes, and mostly mx. I had a heavy flywheel weight in it which toned it way down on the bottom. Made it less likely to rip me off the bike. I then got the 450F (Honda, yuk) and did a bunch of crap to it. Made it an airplane. I couldn't corner worth shit. Got the 250F and love it. It's just got no gusto. Anything short of int/hard and you feel the need for power. I could mod it out, but I know the reliability is gonna suffer and I won't ever get the dough out of it. I'm leaning toward the 06/07 YZ 450F and tame it a bit on the bottom with a flywheel and / or gearing. The money I'm gonna spend on moddin the 250F I could spend on: Leatt Brace, Scotts stabilizer, suspension including subs, hell maybe even those goofy fastway bars. You get my point. I just don't want to go back to fightin the bike like I did the 450 Honda. I ride this bike for all its worth and at times it sounds like she's gonna blow. I digress...