General Maintenance XR650R

Questions I have-06 XR650R- 1. The first time I cleaned the down tube screen I found shaved metal and debris around the bottom of the screen. Is this normal for a first time check/cleaning? (Not sure if it has been done prior) 2. How tight do you all go with the chain? Is it a firm 1 ", or a soft 1" more or less for the slack? 3. I know I put about 1.7 qts in the bike, started it and ran it 2 mins, the rode it up and down the street, then let it idle in the garage for a minute, and it only read half way up the dip stick? It seems hard to get a consistent oil reading? Considering I know 1.7 qts went in, and there was not spilage, should I just wait and re check? ?

I saw the same thing with the oil on mine. I put almost 2 quarts in it to get it to the top of the dipstick. I usually put in one quart, then kick it over about 10 times, then put the rest in so I don't overflow. I'm using a $5 wal-mart funnel with a on/off spigot and volume graduations so I can tell how much I'm putting in.

The chain - I never measured it with a ruler. I just go by what looks to be about an inch.

Screen - can't help you there, although I think I might remove mine to check due to the engine knocking noise. Was the metal magnetic, brass or other? There are magnetic oil plug bolts available on E-bay and XRsOnly.

I checked my screen after the first 2k miles, the only crap was what looked like cloth fibers but I don't beat on the clutch and mine runs cool using mobil 1 syn oil. Mine is geared tall so it's not revving much. I set my chain so it has slight freeplay when sitting on the bike.

I've read of others having some shavings in the screen with the first check. Assuming this is the first time it's been cleaned your probably OK. Check it again after a few oil changes. As far as the oil level I have to follow the manual to the letter or my readings are all over the place. Let it idle for 5 minutes with the bike level on a stand and check the level immediately after shut down. As far as the chain adjustment I always run mine just a bit loose as there's always a tight spot somewhere during rotation. I made the mistake of running my chain just a little tight on another bike & destroyed a sprocket in about 600mi.

I have never found anything on the oil screen from new, and I have more than 15,000 mostly off road miles on mine. I would be worried if I did.

My bike burns no oil, so I don't care about checking the dipstick. I just fill in 1.56l without filter change, and 1.6l with change. I change it every few hundred miles depending on how hard I rode, pour in the correct amount and never check again.

At some point you will have to remove the shock and linkage to regrease. With the bike on a center stand and no shock, manually move the swing arm through its range and feel the chain. Find the tightest spot and adjust the chain for just a bit of play at that point. Now move the swing arm back to the no load position and measure the chain play. That's your ideal setting.

I did find a small amount of fiber, cloth like material, as well as a small amount of metal shavings, which seemed to be aluminum, but not brass. I might add when I bought the bike, the plastic treads on the dip stick were cross treaded, and the dip stick itself was bent, and I felt it scrape the side of the inner frame as it was taken in and out. It has already been replaced, but I thought the metal to metal of the dipstick scraping the inner sides of the frame could have created a small shaving or two? Anyway, will check in a few oil changes down the road, as I thought I read before this has been found in the first cleaning of many new bikes.

Thanks for the info guys... and thank god for bulllet proof XR650R'S!

I've always run about 1700-1800ml depending on whether or not the filter is changed. Never worry about it after that and I change the oil every 300 miles. So far I'm going on 20K desert miles.

So you've been running a good bit more oil than I have and both our bikes are fine. after plenty of use. This is a pretty forgiving engine.

The little owners book tells how to check oil on one of these babies.

Here is what it says:

1. if you changed out the filter when you drained the oil the bike holds

1.7 US qt

2. if oil filter was not replaced use approximately 1.65 US qt

Procedure:

To fill the oil tank to the upper level, oil should be added in two steps.

1. Pour the recommended oil into the oil tank up to the upper level on the dip stick.

2. Install the oil filler cap/dipstick securely

3. Start engine. Let idle for 5 minutes. During idling, support your bike in an upright position on a firm, level surface to assure an accurate oil level reading.

4. Stop the engine. Remove the oil filler cap/dipstick.

5. Add the recommended oil up to the upper level mark. (do not overfill).

I might add when checking the oil do not screw the dip stick in. All measurements on the dipstick are taken by just pushing the dip stick into the hole until the threads lightly seat.

The little owners book tells how to check oil on one of these babies.

Here is what it says:

1. if you changed out the filter when you drained the oil the bike holds

1.7 US qt

2. if oil filter was not replaced use approximately 1.65 US qt

Procedure:

To fill the oil tank to the upper level, oil should be added in two steps.

1. Pour the recommended oil into the oil tank up to the upper level on the dip stick.

2. Install the oil filler cap/dipstick securely

3. Start engine. Let idle for 5 minutes. During idling, support your bike in an upright position on a firm, level surface to assure an accurate oil level reading.

4. Stop the engine. Remove the oil filler cap/dipstick.

5. Add the recommended oil up to the upper level mark. (do not overfill).

I might add when checking the oil do not screw the dip stick in. All measurements on the dipstick are taken by just pushing the dip stick into the hole until the threads lightly seat.

This is the third oil change for me, and the first time I cleaned the down tube screen. I know I am putting in the 1.7 qts, (with filter change) but I always have ended up with a reading of half to full on the dipstick. I read all the time of people who get inconsistent readings, and I am sure it has to do with the procedures people go through in checking. My experiences are if I follow the little book's procedure, it seems to only read 1/2 to 3/4 on the stick. If I go riding for awhile, stop, let it idle a minute or so, then check it reads close to full? Is this normal? ?

This is the third oil change for me, and the first time I cleaned the down tube screen. I know I am putting in the 1.7 qts, (with filter change) but I always have ended up with a reading of half to full on the dipstick. I read all the time of people who get inconsistent readings, and I am sure it has to do with the procedures people go through in checking. My experiences are if I follow the little book's procedure, it seems to only read 1/2 to 3/4 on the stick. If I go riding for awhile, stop, let it idle a minute or so, then check it reads close to full? Is this normal? ?

That is Honda. You can out up to 2200 cc's or about 2 full qts with a filter change. That is what they prep the factory Hondas with- as per Jimmy at Precision Concepts.

Dont just fill 2 qts though. Fill 1.7 first and run the bike at idle for 5 minutes on level ground. You can probably add up tyo 3 ounces after that to get to the top line of the dip stick.

Get an oil site tube-(1xInternational) makes it easy- never have to pull the dipstick.

Related to Honda- Check the 450x forum and you will see that Honda recommends .7 qts in the tranny- everyone is running 1 full qt.:worthy:

So you've been running a good bit more oil than I have and both our bikes are fine. after plenty of use. This is a pretty forgiving engine.

I've always used a 100mls or more than the manual asks for on all my bikes.

That is Honda. You can out up to 2200 cc's or about 2 full qts with a filter change. That is what they prep the factory Hondas with- as per Jimmy at Precision Concepts.

Dont just fill 2 qts though. Fill 1.7 first and run the bike at idle for 5 minutes on level ground. You can probably add up tyo 3 ounces after that to get to the top line of the dip stick.

Get an oil site tube-(1xInternational) makes it easy- never have to pull the dipstick.

Related to Honda- Check the 450x forum and you will see that Honda recommends .7 qts in the tranny- everyone is running 1 full qt.?

I did read that thread about tranny levels with the 450...I just ran my XRR 5 and a half minutes at idle, then checked it and it was at the same level as it was yesterday when I changed the oil(1.7 qts w/filter) and ran it two minutes, then went up and down the street, then sat at idle for an additional two minutes before checking. I am about half up the stick? Sound normal?

I got 2qts into my 650r after a filter change, this is my first time changing the oil on the the bike, but I liked where the oil level was on the dipstick when I checked it via the process in the manual. Just a hair over the full line on the stick.

You guys think this is to full?

Related to Honda- Check the 450x forum and you will see that Honda recommends .7 qts in the tranny- everyone is running 1 full qt.?

The 450X 3rd gear has a tendancy to sieze up on the shaft on the older bikes (either 2006 or 2005 and older) without that extra oil. I believe that it is a different type of oiling system than in the XRR since it is tranny only versus tranny plus engine lubrication.

For the XR650R, just don't let it go off the stick or get too dirty and you will be fine. Some of the older bikes tend to burn a bit of oil at the higher RPM and that is why I fill mine up 2 qts.

Don't overfill (much past 2 qts.), you will damage a couple soft parts on the motor, I think a seal and a crankcase vent. I can't remember exactly what at the moment..

When changing your oil, there are 3 bolts plus your oil filter cover where oil comes out.