HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mcflzwr450f

Removing smog on a 07 WR450f ?

17 posts in this topic

Will removing the smog really make that much difference? I live in California and having the smog on is a must if you want to go to any of the local parks. Plus my dealer told it makes a unnoticeable difference..so I'm not sure if its worth the hassle for me at the parks ?!?!

Pleas let me know what you think and then I will make my decision. Thanks.

I pulled mine, installed all of my JD jetting equipment and didn't feel like waiting for the TT AIS kit to come, so I put it back on. I don't have a direct comparison, but having it on doesn't seem to affect performance to me, my bike RIPS!

If I was in Cali, I'd probably leave it on. I can't cancel my TT order or mine would stay on.

Texashart

Yea, I'm thinking leaving it on is my best bet. I talked to a couple of people at my dealer and they said removing the smog will not even gain a half horse. So living in Cali I think leaving it on is the best for me.

When you bought the bike, did the dealer register you for the "green sticker" with DMV? My dealer did and it was sent to me directly about a month later. It's probably bad form, but I'm wondering if a lot of folks get the sticker, then do the mods. Do the Rangers actually check for the AIS / mods in the parks or do they just look for the sticker, <96db and spark arrestor?

Just curious b/c I'm headed back to Ca next year and was planning on removing mine, too...

Just out of curiousity, exactly what smog equipment is on an '07?

AIS (air induction system) it consists of bunch of hoses; some kind of a canister and a few other things. Mine will be coming off this weekend.

I live in California and having the smog on is a must if you want to go to any of the local parks/

I have never heard of anyone not being able to ride in a park because of lack of smog equipment. The only thing they ever check is your sticker and spark arrestor and possibly noise emissions.

I've read a post somewhere claiming that removing all that california emissions compliance, including the AIS can trim the bike down by 1.0 pounds or more. That's sounds pretty good to me. Also, I don't like to have anything on my bike that serves me no benefit, especially bunch of emission compliance BS. Just my $.02.

I see, thanks. For what it's worth most canister systems give reliability problems on bikes with gravity fed fuel systems. Everything from sputtering and running like s**t after wheelies, hard landings, ect., to hard restarts to refusing to run at all (KLR650's are famous for that). I'd remove a canister just on principal. But hey, that's just me. :thumbsup:

FWIW, I think the only way you'll get busted by a ranger for removing smog equipment is if you tell them (brag) that you did it.

When you bought the bike, did the dealer register you for the "green sticker" with DMV? My dealer did and it was sent to me directly about a month later. It's probably bad form, but I'm wondering if a lot of folks get the sticker, then do the mods. Do the Rangers actually check for the AIS / mods in the parks or do they just look for the sticker, <96db and spark arrestor?

Just curious b/c I'm headed back to Ca next year and was planning on removing mine, too...

I'm green & in my area the rangers due check for smog...

Removing the AIS gives you no performance gains. People remove it to decrease weight and because it can cause popping on decel which might mask an actual lean condition.

If anyone rides at Carnegie or Hollister hills they will turn you away... My brother who rides a 05 CRF450x has the smog block off kit and was not allowed in Hollister two weeks ago !! If you block it off but leave the equipment I think you will be o.k.?? or go early you can avoid the ranger??

Three of my good friends just came back from Arnold Ca and they where stopped two times by a sheriff and ranger. The ranger checked for Reg, sparky and Smog !! These guys are ridding XR400 & DRZ's with very little mods. Cali is a little over the top on this, so I will keep my smog on till they cool down or I move...Thanks for all your help.

Wow. Thanks for the updates- sounds like at least some of 'em know what they're looking for... :thumbsup:

Wow, interesting. I never ride where Rangers are but if I did and if I had a canister there would be bb's or ball bearings plugging the lines. I avoid OHV parks, too many idiots (besides rangers and sheriffs) :thumbsup:

Yes many check. Why remove the AIS system since all it does is add oxygen to the exhaust AFTER it leaves the cylinder. It helps burn unburnt hydrocarbons and lowers Carbon Monoxide at the same time. It is illegal to remove it (California Vehicle Code 38390). Why risk having your bike possibly impounded for 30 days by plugging it up. Thats fraud because its apparent that you knew and disabled it. It would be better to take it off and tell that you just didnt know. Then it depends on whether the LEO believes you or not. You can tell by which of the two boxes on the ticket he checked. Its either a fix it (if you didnt know) or if the other box is checked its a humungus fine and possible impound. (Thats typically 150 to 200 dollars for the tow and 30 to 35 dollars a day for 30 days). WOW. Over a $:thumbsup: 1000 for removing something that doesnt make any difference in the way your bike runs. Sounds strict but its also against Federal Law. Since California gets highway tax money, California is obligated to inforce the law if it wants to get federal money for highway repairs.

Yes many check. Why remove the AIS system since all it does is add oxygen to the exhaust AFTER it leaves the cylinder. It helps burn unburnt hydrocarbons and lowers Carbon Monoxide at the same time. It is illegal to remove it (California Vehicle Code 38390). Why risk having your bike possibly impounded for 30 days by plugging it up. Thats fraud because its apparent that you knew and disabled it. It would be better to take it off and tell that you just didnt know. Then it depends on whether the LEO believes you or not. You can tell by which of the two boxes on the ticket he checked. Its either a fix it (if you didnt know) or if the other box is checked its a humungus fine and possible impound. (Thats typically 150 to 200 dollars for the tow and 30 to 35 dollars a day for 30 days). WOW. Over a $:worthy: 1000 for removing something that doesnt make any difference in the way your bike runs. Sounds strict but its also against Federal Law. Since California gets highway tax money, California is obligated to inforce the law if it wants to get federal money for highway repairs.

I haven't disabled it.

But, thanks for the lesson in chemistry, dirt bike ethics, California code and municipal revenues... :thumbsup:

:worthy:

I haven't disabled it.

But, thanks for the lesson in chemistry, dirt bike ethics, California code and municipal revenues... :thumbsup: