Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Super Dude

Chain & Sprocket, 450F

12 posts in this topic

I need a new chain and sprockets. The stock chain is stretching after every ride. I have a 04 yz450f. I have heard the D.I.D chain is the way to go.

But which one for my bike. As i look at this catalog it has 420,428,and 520 after the name of the chain. What does this mean? Then there is different link sizes 130,120, and 132. What link size do i need? Is there a noticeable difference between x,o, and reg chain? What Sprockets should i get?

Also i want more top speed from my bike does that mean i go up a tooth in the rear?

Sorry for so many ?'s

Thanks,

SD

1 person likes this

Your bike uses a 520 chain. This # designates the "size" of the chain links. As far as length of the chain 120 is usually sufficient depending on the size sprockets you are using. Invest in a chain breaker available at most bike shops for under $20, & cut it to fit your application. x & o ring chains differ from reg chains only in the fact that they seal the pins from the elements and last a little longer. Trade off is a little extra weight. For more top end-lessen the # of teeth on rear sprocket or add to the front.

1 person likes this

I personally prefer the Regina ORN-6 O-ring chain. It looks like I may have to replace the one on my '03 before much longer. It's over two years old.

The numbers (i.e. 520, 428) are the size of the chain in both width and in "pitch", the length between pins. You need a 520. Stock sprockets on your bike will need a 114 link chain.

I always buy 120's and cut them to fit.

I went to d.i.d website and the said to use a 520ert2 with 112 links. Does this sound right? It also said my bike has a 14 tooth front and a 47 rear sprocket, Does this sound right?

My bike is used for the desert and trails. Man do i need a 5th gear.

Another ?

How do i know what size to make the chain if i start to mess with sprockets?

Your bike uses a 520 chain. This # designates the "size" of the chain links. As far as length of the chain 120 is usually sufficient depending on the size sprockets you are using. Invest in a chain breaker available at most bike shops for under $20, & cut it to fit your application. x & o ring chains differ from reg chains only in the fact that they seal the pins from the elements and last a little longer. Trade off is a little extra weight. For more top end-lessen the # of teeth on rear sprocket or add to the front.

So a smaller rear sprocket will drop the rpms a bit when im trying to cruz in

4th gear? And will allow me to go faster in (mph)in 4th?

So a smaller rear sprocket will drop the rpms a bit when im trying to cruz in

4th gear? And will allow me to go faster in (mph)in 4th?

Yes to both questions...the trade off is less bottom end.

1 person likes this

be safe order a 120 link and cut it yourself......DID ERT2 is great non oring chain ...... pair it up with Ironman sprockets and you will be very happy with extended wear :thumbsup:

I personally prefer the Regina ORN-6 O-ring chain. It looks like I may have to replace the one on my '03 before much longer. It's over two years old.

The numbers (i.e. 520, 428) are the size of the chain in both width and in "pitch", the length between pins. You need a 520. Stock sprockets on your bike will need a 114 link chain.

I always buy 120's and cut them to fit.

Second the Regina. It is a very durable chain.

After replacing my last chain with a DID x-ring, I will never, ever buy a non o-ring (or x-ring) chain again. They last about 6 times longer, and the maintaince is almost non-existant. Also, the sprockets last longer as well, since the chain stretch is minimal.