HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MartinDKtm

Battery questions...

15 posts in this topic

OK, I must change the battery on my 650L. It has wiseco hi-comp piston and a hot cam in it...Im looking for a battery that has more cold starting amp than the oem one. The oem is a YTX9-BS. I looked for an odyssey battery and the one that fit there is the PC310 that has 310 amp cold. Does someone know the rating of the YTX9-BS? Is the Odyssey more powerful?

MArtin

OK, I must change the battery on my 650L. It has wiseco hi-comp piston and a hot cam in it...Im looking for a battery that has more cold starting amp than the oem one. The oem is a YTX9-BS. I looked for an odyssey battery and the one that fit there is the PC310 that has 310 amp cold. Does someone know the rating of the YTX9-BS? Is the Odyssey more powerful?

MArtin

You don't need a stronger battery, I have the same motor and haven't had a problem in over two years.

For my own benefit, why do you think you need more battery?

MGS

I have the same piston you do and my bike starts practically instantly when warm, maybe cranks for a full second when cold. Stick with the OEM battery, Sears has them for about $40, then make sure your carburation is right. You'll have no problems even if you sink it in water and have to crank for a while. (I speak from :thumbsup: experience)

Cause in fall or spring I do ride the bike at 0 to -5 degree celsius and it does take some juice...But maybe its just that I was used to the not so good no more battery that was inside it. I may try an oem replacement.

Thanks

Martin

I have the same piston you do and my bike starts practically instantly when warm, maybe cranks for a full second when cold. Stick with the OEM battery, Sears has them for about $40, then make sure your carburation is right. You'll have no problems even if you sink it in water and have to crank for a while. (I speak from :thumbsup: experience)

<<<<<<<>>>>>>>

Yup,

Fine scooter but a lousy submarine. .:worthy: I too know from experience:prof:

:ride: :ride: :p

Xr650l bum, I did not relocate the battery yet. I will increase oil capacity/cooling first. I will check tonight and if the Odyssey is not overly expensive I may buy it instead of oem. Its smaller and if I relocate it its gonna be easyer.

Martin

Xr650l bum, I did not relocate the battery yet. I will increase oil capacity/cooling first. I will check tonight and if the Odyssey is not overly expensive I may buy it instead of oem. Its smaller and if I relocate it its gonna be easyer.

Martin

Sorry! I got you mixed up with Martinfan30. What is this odyssey you are talking about, and where can you get it? Model #?

Xr650l here's the link: http://www.odysseybatteries.com/ And the model that fit us is the PC310. But I found yesterday that the dealer in town is asking wayyyyy tooooo much for them compare to an oem one. Oem is around 50-80$ and he wants 189$ for the odyssey (Canadian $$). I will make some search on the net to see cause im sure I will find a better price fo it.

Martin

NOT to cross thread this but what kind of difference do you guys see from stock piston and cam to the upgrades that you all say you have here? Im thinking about doing something like this to my L

NOT to cross thread this but what kind of difference do you guys see from stock piston and cam to the upgrades that you all say you have here? Im thinking about doing something like this to my L

Night and Day!

MGS

xr650l bum, i kept the stock battery. it fits very well using the stock holddown. just straighten the holddown and you can make it fit nice in the airbox. i cant beleive more pig ryders arent doing this mod! it is so easy, fits good and it feels lighter!

xr650l bum, i kept the stock battery. it fits very well using the stock holddown. just straighten the holddown and you can make it fit nice in the airbox. i cant beleive more pig ryders arent doing this mod! it is so easy, fits good and it feels lighter!

I am not looking to relocate. I like the airbox the way it is. I would just like to go to a smaller, lighter battery. Maybe make room in battery box to carry misc crap!