HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jtb96

Oil Overflowing?

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. Long time registered lurker with a question on my 2000 426. I know I have to check the oil warm but heres my problem. I started the bike the other day and ran it for only 10-15 seconds. I shut it off and waited prob about 1 minute. Then I went and took off the oil cap and oil just starts flowing out of the top. Lots of it until I put the cap back on. I dont think its supposed to do that! Whats wrong, crank case vent. Please help im getting my engine all dirty!!!

anyone?

yah mine does that from time to time as well. Not really sure why though.

What part of MI?

The YZF is a dry sump lube system. During operation, the oil is carried in a tank separate from the engine, delivered to the engine, and then scavenged up and returned to the tank. When the bike sits for a time, oil will migrate to the crankcases due to gravity, and this will make the oil level read low on the dipstick. If you then add oil without first running the engine to return the excess crankcase oil to the tank, you will overfill the system.

Likewise, if you fail to drain both the oil tank and the crankcases during an oil change, but then add in the full amount of oil required, you will also end up overfilling.

The YZF is a dry sump lube system. During operation, the oil is carried in a tank separate from the engine, delivered to the engine, and then scavenged up and returned to the tank. When the bike sits for a time, oil will migrate to the crankcases due to gravity, and this will make the oil level read low on the dipstick. If you then add oil without first running the engine to return the excess crankcase oil to the tank, you will overfill the system.

Likewise, if you fail to drain both the oil tank and the crankcases during an oil change, but then add in the full amount of oil required, you will also end up overfilling.

so we've overfilled....damn

im in kent city, about 20 min north of grand rapids. I dont think im overfilled but could be. I am gonna change my oil tonite so i guess i will find out. Thanks