HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pianoexcellence

Baffle affect fuel efficiency?

5 posts in this topic

I have an 04 650l (Dave's mods, de-smog/snorkel, Rejetted 56/158)

I have the small spot welds ground out, and switching baffle in or out is now a 60 second affair.

Question, is there any reason to use the baffle except noise? I fully agree that in sensitive areas like trail rides, stealth is key, but I am taking a long freeway ride coming up, and am trying to figure out what to do...

Is there actually an increase in power? (It feels like it)

Will the motor run too hot?

thanks for the help.:thumbsup:

I have an 04 650l (Dave's mods, de-smog/snorkel, Rejetted 56/158)

I have the small spot welds ground out, and switching baffle in or out is now a 60 second affair.

Question, is there any reason to use the baffle except noise? I fully agree that in sensitive areas like trail rides, stealth is key, but I am taking a long freeway ride coming up, and am trying to figure out what to do...

Is there actually an increase in power? (It feels like it)

Will the motor run too hot?

thanks for the help.:thumbsup:

There is a small increase in high-end power, which will be even more (but still slightly) increased if you do some under-seat mods to give the air a better path to the top of the airbox.

I drilled some holes in the side-pieces of the seat frame (the black plasitic) and also some holes in the flat pieces of the seat frame fwd of the airbox inlet.

If the bike is jetted for the baffle out, it should not run hotter (unless you're using the extra power for wheelies).

Dave

Thanks for answering my questions,

There is one question that I forgot to ask.

Does taking the baffle out affect the fuel effieciency,

Common sense tells me that less restriction will improve fuel efficiency, but a friend says that more air into the engine will take more fuel...:thumbsup:

Any experience in this?

Does taking the baffle out affect the fuel effieciency,

Common sense tells me that less restriction will improve fuel efficiency, but a friend says that more air into the engine will take more fuel...:thumbsup:

Any experience in this?

You may lose fuel mileage. But, with more air, less restrictive exhaust , and proper jetting, you can gain quite a bit of power without any worry of harming the engine. The 650L engines only really have problems when major mods have been done, or if the bike is too lean for extended periods of time.

Removing the baffle without re-jetting will most likely cause it to run lean, and yes, hotter. Because it can breath out better, it wants to breath in more. I'd try no baffle, and a 160 main. Maybe 1/4 turn richer on the pilot screw.

I recommend getting rid of the stock air filter in favor of a TwinAir Power Flow kit. In any case, you probably need 1 size bigger on the main jet, and probably a richer pilot adjustment.