Please help me out with my WR400.....

Hey everyone, I am going to seem like the biggest fool after you read this, but hey that's alright.

I picked up a WR400 from a dealer last night. I wasn't paying attention when the servcie guy started it. Anyways, I got it home last night and cannot get it to start. It fired a couple times but now it doesn't do jack sh*t.

Heres the thing I'm confused about. It has a huge Acerbis aftermarket tank on it. I found the choke up underneath it. Is the "Red" button the kill switch? Becuase that's the only one I can find? If so, does it need to be pushed or pulled for the bike to start? I was mad I almost took the damn thing back last night. :worthy:

Also, I stripped it down and I couldn't even get the spark plug boot off.

I've owned KTM's for quite awhile and XR's before that, but this thing is completely different and it didn't come with an owners manual.:thumbsup:

If you could, whenever you get done laughing at me please post some advice.

You can get a owners manual on ebay for cheap. As for starting there is a drill for it. The red knob you speack of is the hot start buttton use it after a fall. The choke is the black one along side. Been very happy with my 400 since new 2000. if your search this forum with "starting the WR 440" You will find many good post's. After you master the drill you will love it.

you can also download the manual for free from the AUS yamaha site. Do a search I don't have the link with me.

I Love my '99. The only thing I long for is a button for racing. I don;t mind the kicking when I'm judt goofing around, but it can get a little tiring during a race. I guess I should just stall/crash less !!

Thanks guys, my confusion over the red button was just that I didn't think the 99's had Hot start buttons on them?

ANy ideas on where the kill switch might be then? The bike has a baja designs kit on it and I can't find a kill switch anywhere.

Thanks guys, my confusion over the red button was just that I didn't think the 99's had Hot start buttons on them?

ANy ideas on where the kill switch might be then? The bike has a baja designs kit on it and I can't find a kill switch anywhere.

The BD switch in the off position is your kill switch. BTW, on the 400's the hotstart button is mounted to the frame a little behind the carb - it's not on the carb like later model 426s.

The BD switch in the off position is your kill switch. BTW, on the 400's the hotstart button is mounted to the frame a little behind the carb - it's not on the carb like later model 426s.

AHHH! That was the "Key" I was looking for, I imagine the BD switch is what's been botching everything for me! Of course I guess I could have mentioned it earlier as well!

Excellent! Now I can't wait to get home and start kickin' her over, followed by a block long wheelie ending in the neighbors bushes!:thumbsup:

My BD switch also has a kill button...it's the grey button above the horn button. Yes, the headlight "slider" switch has to be in the first position forward from off for the bike to run. As far as getting the plug cap off, it's tough, but just pull it (by the boot, not the wire!). I use some automotive plug boot grease on mine and it makes it come off a whole lot easier.

My BD switch also has a kill button...it's the grey button above the horn button. Yes, the headlight "slider" switch has to be in the first position forward from off for the bike to run. As far as getting the plug cap off, it's tough, but just pull it (by the boot, not the wire!). I use some automotive plug boot grease on mine and it makes it come off a whole lot easier.

The easiest way I have found to remove the sparkplug boot, is to shoot compressed air through the drain hole on the the side of the cylinder head. Make sure to keep your hand on top of the boot as it pops of with, well, a POP! Of course, this assumes you have a compressor.

BTW, for what ever reason, the kill switch on my BD switch has never worked and I always use the "ignition" slider switch as my kill switch. As it works so well, I have never bothered trouble shooting it.

My BD is set-up in a general switch housing on the left bar that has Horn, Turns, and HI/Low Beam, no other buttons. There is then another switch in the middle of the bars that is just a left/right push situation with Baja Designs written on the mounting plate.

I guess I can essentially just trace the Kill Switch wires off the CDI box. They're the black and black w/ gray stripe correct? I'm gonna check to see if the gray wire mod has been done anyways so I'll have everything apart.

I do have an air compressor so that sounds like an easy ticket to get the boot off.

I really appreciate the responses. I'm looking forward to riding this thing.

check the common threads at the top of the forum, there are two excellent videos on starting these bikes.

Alright, I've watched the videos, I've read through the posts, I've owned plenty of four strokes before and it STILL won't start.

Last night I tore down the carb, replaced the sparkplug, checked the CDI and ignition, traced the wiring, checked the compression, cleaned the air filter, changed the oil, and changed the coolant.

It has great spark, excellent compression, all electrical seems to be good. The carb is working perfectly, the gas is fresh-----AND IT STILL WON'T START!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It gave me one hellacious backfire, and it fired for one quick second twice, and that's it. I even towed it behind the car to get a really good bump start and still nothing!:thumbsup:

*also----I assume there is a special tool for the spark plug? It's kind of a pain in the arse to change!