HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Quigley

XRL's can't push 70mph for 2 hrs?

46 posts in this topic

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a 07 XRL, someone help me on this...

I been reading that CDI failure is common on these bikes, is it?

also is this guy blowing smoke or is it true the bike can't sustain 115km (70miles) for 2 hrs before overheating? never heard that before

It can do it, as I have done it a few times with only stopping to fill up every so often. The standard daves mods and 15/40 gearing is all that I did before I rode these distances. The gearing on my bike is because I never take mine offroad, and I also have road tires. Stock gearing is about as short as I would go for any long travel time at those speeds. Never heard about the cdi being a common problem, as after 8600 miles since I bought mine new in Feb 06, I have yet to have any trouble at all.

done it several times at 75mph! only cdi failures ive seen are on pre 2000 models.

I used to ride mine in the middle of summer round trip from Boise, ID to Spokane, WA on weekends- 1,000 mi round trip with absolutely no problems at all at sustained speeds. No worries. The CDI thing ain't THAT common. Refrain from pressure washing too much & all's good.

I don't know about 70, but I know I can keep it around 90 for three hours with no problems.

I don't know about 70, but I know I can keep it around 90 for three hours with no problems.

YEEAHHHH now thats what im talking about:ride: , BUT im sure your kidding a bit LOL took my first ride Sun and it was WINDYYY man it sucked thought i was gonna get pulled off the bike a few times LOL My XRL is for pretty much street only and i dont think id take more than about 1 1/2 hours till a 5 min brake to rest a bit

BUT im sure your kidding a bit LOL

:thumbsup: Nope, not kidding. 01XR650L, SM conversion, Clarke 4.7, Hotcams, Edelbrock pumper, FMF power core system, 15/42 gearing. I can get a solid 90 and keep it there as long as I have road. Tailwinds help and headwinds suck. In the republic of south florida people drive 90 all the time, cops don't do sheit. The highway patrol is the only one to look out for, and quite often from homestead to west palm and back you will never see one.

:thumbsup: Nope, not kidding. 01XR650L, SM conversion, Clarke 4.7, Hotcams, Edelbrock pumper, FMF power core system, 15/42 gearing. I can get a solid 90 and keep it there as long as I have road. Tailwinds help and headwinds suck. In the republic of south florida people drive 90 all the time, cops don't do sheit. The highway patrol is the only one to look out for, and quite often from homestead to west palm and back you will never see one.

thats true ... i was there for bikeweek a couple years ago and we took a trip from daytona over to lakeland and we hauled the mail most of the way. id say 70 on the highway was the slowest we went for any amount of time. closer to 75-80. my buddy was on his 650L i forget the year .. 94 i think ( its a whie one ) and i was on my KLR 650 and neither had a problem except for the seats ... they sucked.

done it several times at 75mph! only cdi failures ive seen are on pre 2000 models.

MF, do you have solid info on that?

I have an '01, it'd be nice to not worry about that!

Dave

Right on TREAD im hoping for some calm days to try mine somemore CA isnt that easy on 90mph speeders LOL

Thanks guys, just noticed he was talking about a 300kg (660lbs) fully laden bike running 15/48 gearing... any thumper'd probably overheat under those circumstances.

No way buddy. Hit 75-80 for 2+ hours in hot So.cal weather. Then hit the dirt for 3 hours. Nadda problem!

I have a 06' 650L still stock, unfortunately, and have sustained 70 EASY no problems, no overheat, no excessive oil loss, consistant gas mileage. At 70 for two hours+ I can crank the throttle and it takes off likes it want's more! Goin on highway, offroad and back n forth all day no problems. And I live in the southern Nevada desert + Las Vegas stop n go. Totally satisfied mith my pig. I mean it's not a MX king or a crotch rocket, but I've had zero problems at 1,500 miles so far.

I've run mine at 65-75 mph for multiple tanks of fuel, many times. The only problems I've had are from vibration, and my hard seat foam. That bike will go that speed for longer than most people would care to ride it. No overheating even in 90 to 110, no CDI failures, 10k on the bike. Will last a long time with proper maintenance.

wouldnt it be impossible to do that ?

70 mph for 2 hours is 140 miles .

unless you change your gas tank from stock , you would

be pushing it that last 50 miles . :thumbsup:

I read on ADV rider the the CDI's go out on these bike. Mine stalls for no apparent reason and it tried to replace the CDI to fix the problem. I replaced the CDI today and went for a little ride and she shalled 1/2 mile into the ride. I now have a spare CDI.

if this problem is repeatable and predictable to some degree, you might try hot-wiring the kill switch on the right side of the bars and see if that does anything. Sometimes my bike doesn't want to start,I flip that swtich back and forth a few times and it takes off. Never misses a beat once running, but maybe your's is a bit more "faulty" than mine. I have heard of others with a similar "flaky" kill switch.

Its air cooled, so I would be far more concerned about overheating at a too slow of a pace, than I would at 70 MPH where it is getting a lot of cooling air movement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by martinfan30

MF, do you have solid info on that?

I have an '01, it'd be nice to not worry about that!

Dave

no dave i dont. but i do know in all the posts in all the different sites i go to ive not seen cdi failures on actually any newer than 98 or 99 if i recall correctly. not trying to mislead at all!