Axle Sliders

2 hours ago, Spyvsspy said:

Well, someone did say that they would post pics once they had everything installed.  I am sitting here with a pair of oem sliders but I don't know if they are for the rear or front axles

image.jpg

It looks like they are for the front axle of a SM model.The left one in the pic goes over the outside hex of the axle nut on the left side of the axle.The one in the right pic goes on the right side of the axle and fits inside the hexagonal bore.Those cheesey expanding inserts aren't worth a damn.I prefer to use a length of stainless steel threaded rod run all the way through the axle and acorn nuts to secure the sliders to the axle.I used M5 x .8 x 10.75" long and secure with a dab of blue loctite and they've never come loose.The rear is similar mounting but the rod is longer,I think around 12".I'd have to remove them to measure the exact length to be sure.It's been eons since I retrofitted my bike with them.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, bumtarder said:

It looks like they are for the front axle of a SM model.The left one in the pic goes over the outside hex of the axle nut on the left side of the axle.The one in the right pic goes on the right side of the axle and fits inside the hexagonal bore.Those cheesey expanding inserts aren't worth a damn.I prefer to use a length of stainless steel threaded rod run all the way through the axle and acorn nuts to secure the sliders to the axle.I used M5 x .8 x 10.75" long and secure with a dab of blue loctite and they've never come loose.The rear is similar mounting but the rod is longer,I think around 12".I'd have to remove them to measure the exact length to be sure.It's been eons since I retrofitted my bike with them.

I did a quick search and that m5 x .8 rod at Lowe's is $15?.  Do you recommend drilling out the center hole and using a different size all thread?  I have some Jay Bee Bikerbits spools/sliders mounted on the rear

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, Spyvsspy said:

I did a quick search and that m5 x .8 rod at Lowe's is $15?.  Do you recommend drilling out the center hole and using a different size all thread?  I have some Jay Bee Bikerbits spools/sliders mounted on the rear

image.jpeg

Because the oem sliders are a taper design if you ream the hole to a larger size you will then also have to counterbore it to accept the nut.You can't go too big otherwise it will never do it's job as a slider if you have the threaded rod and a nut hanging off the end of the slider.That's why everything needs to be recessed so it can effectively do it's job as designed.I don't ever remember the 18" length of rod to be that much,but I did this mod so very long ago.But you'd be better off keeping to the M5 or a 10-24 tpi rod size.That is the maximum size that will still allow you to get a 10mm socket inside the end to secure the nut.ymmv