HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dawg2227

What would you guys do? (suspension topic)

18 posts in this topic

love my yz, power is awesome, but dang, my honda rode better. i keep trying to get my yz to handle like my honda. i've got springs for weight, but i'm still bottoming out easily, and my forks are still really harsh and 'thuddy'. when i 'g' out at high speed in the whoops or just crossing an abrupt wash, the steering totally jack knifes, it doesn't rebound symetrically up and down, like my honda did. that thing, i could bottom it, and it always came straight back up, all i had to do was brace for the impact. on my yz, i have to brace and then try to keep the bars straight. what suggestions do you have?

thx!

love my yz, power is awesome, but dang, my honda rode better. i keep trying to get my yz to handle like my honda. i've got springs for weight, but i'm still bottoming out easily, and my forks are still really harsh and 'thuddy'. when i 'g' out at high speed in the whoops or just crossing an abrupt wash, the steering totally jack knifes, it doesn't rebound symetrically up and down, like my honda did. that thing, i could bottom it, and it always came straight back up, all i had to do was brace for the impact. on my yz, i have to brace and then try to keep the bars straight. what suggestions do you have?

thx!

one word "revalve":thumbsup:

I run my stock valves. My suspension guy set the gold valves just werent that much better. But he did tighten them, he said they have all been loose from the factory. I set mine up very stiff, even for my springs (.54 front and 6.4 rear) with heavy fork oil. He said he has them as stiff as he can make them right now. Then I dailed in my clickers and AWESOME. Have someone hold your bike while you act like you are riding it. Make the motions like you are going through the whoops and have someone watch to make sure the bike is coming back up even. If not, adjust clickers accordingly. I am no MX pro or anything, in fact I am an offroad guy and a slow one at that... but my suspension set up is absolutely perfect. :thumbsup:

Gold Valves are not the ticket here...a full revalve is from a reputable Suspension tuner:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

thx!

One Word ENZO

Gold Valves are not the ticket here...a full revalve is from a reputable Suspension tuner:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I am not being a smartass, I really dont know.Would'nt Gold Valves from Racetech be considered a revalve from a reputable suspension tuner. :worthy:

I am not being a smartass, I really dont know.Would'nt Gold Valves from Racetech be considered a revalve from a reputable suspension tuner. :thumbsup:

not really, they're just a drop in part that they try to make work for a lot of people when susp should be custom tuned for you

Gold Valves are not a complete, set up valve, but a valve body on which your original or modified shim stack is installed. The Gold Valve is built on the assumption that the stock valve body has inadequate flow through the ports to function properly. According to TT'er DaveJ, who has done more work with improving single chamber KYB 's than anyone I've ever heard of, this is just not the real problem with that fork, and because of that, they don't really accomplish much.

A susupension guy up here in OR did my 06 front and rear for around $360 and oh god what a difference. I haven't ridden with the newly revalved shock yet. But the fork was amazing! Just like butter!! This should of been the first modification I made. trying out the shock at a XC tomorrow.

i had race tech do my suspension and it is perfect ,they really suck for customer service, but i did the springs a revalve with gold valves and they claim they did a few other things as well

not really, they're just a drop in part that they try to make work for a lot of people when susp should be custom tuned for you
Gold Valves are not a complete, set up valve, but a valve body on which your original or modified shim stack is installed. The Gold Valve is built on the assumption that the stock valve body has inadequate flow through the ports to function properly. According to TT'er DaveJ, who has done more work with improving single chamber KYB 's than anyone I've ever heard of, this is just not the real problem with that fork, and because of that, they don't really accomplish much.

Thanks fellas. Another one to notch up to the knowledge on TT. :worthy::ride::thumbsup: