Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cantfixathing

What TIRES should I run??

15 posts in this topic

I live in Vegas and need to buy some new tires. I have had people tell me to stick with Dunlop 739 on the rear and either the new 745 or 739 on the front. Whats your experience? What do you think?

i have the 739 on my xr400 and it hooks up well but i wish it had more bite. i would suggest the 952 for the front. good tire with good wear characteristics. handles good in the soft stuff and the hard pack. then i would suggest the 739 a/t or the maxxis desert I/T tire. many guys on the xr600/650 forum who race baja swear by the MAxxis desert. i am going to give maxxis desert rear a try next time. have heard bad things about the maxxis desert front though, they say its quite squirlly I have had the 739 a/t and it wore quite well in the rocky hard pack and dirt that i ride in/on. i . stick with a 952, a michelin M12 or a heavy duty pirrelli for the front.

I'm going to try out the Maxxcross IT for a change. I like the price.

yeah I was just looking at one at the local motorcycle shop and it is knarly. really tall knobs that are very sharp cut. Will diffenatly put one on next time i get a tire

I ride in the Mojave desert in socal. I personally prefer a sticky front and something not quite as sticky in the rear.

I always run a D756 in the front. It isn't the longest lasting tire out there, but I currently have about 500 miles on it and its just now beginning to feel a little bit slippery. I'll get another one.

On the rear, I have two good preferences #1 is the IRC trials tire. If you ride in the desert and haven't tried it, then you should.

My second choice is the D952. Its holding up a really long time. I run a 130/90 because I like a little more rubber on the ground. It also doesn't light up so easily.

Pirelli MT 18 HD for the front. They handle and wear really weel. I have been running them for years and haven't gotten a flat yet... knock on wood.

Although the Dunlop 756 rear tire held up suprisingly well, I too am going to try the Maxis Desert IT. I have heard some really good feed back from other TT'ers and from the local SoCal desert rats.

I've been running a 120 Maxxis IT in the rear, and an SI in the front since I burned through the stock tires a week after buying the bike. Soft terrain rubber in front and intermediate in the rear works great for me up here in the high desert...SC

I've been running a 120 Maxxis IT in the rear, and an SI in the front since I burned through the stock tires a week after buying the bike. Soft terrain rubber in front and intermediate in the rear works great for me up here in the high desert...SC

Works well out here in the east also.:thumbsup:

How often do you like to buy tires? The Maxxis IT is by far the longest lasting tire out there. The Desert IT is the same tire with a thicker sidewall. I tried the Pirelli MT 18 HD in the rear and I only got twenty miles out of it!! For the front I like the Maxxis SI, Dunlap 739 AT, or the Pirelli MT 18.

try a Dunlop 752 for the rear, I think you'll like it it has a good bite to it and it works good on braking also.

I keep hearing about this 752, but where do you get one..?

My tires get abused and used..........the only ones that will last are the Maxxis Desert's front and rear:applause:

Run a pair of 739's so you're accustomed to terrible handling in front...then swap on a 756 front and you're instantly 10x better rider! Story that's been told more than once around here...