Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
philipstjohn

Tires Balanced?

8 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

I bought an 06 XR650R with a stock front tire, unbalanced, and a Dunlop 606 on the rear, which had been balanced. I am about to change out the tires, front and rear, and wonder if it is common to balance the tires of the

XR650R? Give me some feedback if you can... Thanks :thumbsup:

I have one XR650R that is balanced for the rim locks. I don't rebalance every tire change. Feels reasonably smooth up to top speed. The previous owner did this. It looks like he wound steel or tin/lead medium gage (1/8th" DIA) wire around the spokes above the nipples on about 6 spokes opposite of the rim lock. The wire stays put through the 15 or so crashes to date.

I have another XR650R unbalanced and it vibrates a little bit more up to top speed (100+). It feels fine to me at 70. Not really that noticeable with the D606's Front/Rear. If you run tires with more contact, then you might feel it more on the street.

Perhaps you know the guy at the bike shop and he will cut you a deal for balancing. If its less than $10 then I would do it for sure.

I have one XR650R that is balanced for the rim locks. I don't rebalance every tire change. Feels reasonably smooth up to top speed. The previous owner did this. It looks like he wound steel or tin/lead medium gage (1/8th" DIA) wire around the spokes above the nipples on about 6 spokes opposite of the rim lock. The wire stays put through the 15 or so crashes to date.

I have another XR650R unbalanced and it vibrates a little bit more up to top speed (100+). It feels fine to me at 70. Not really that noticeable with the D606's Front/Rear. If you run tires with more contact, then you might feel it more on the street.

Perhaps you know the guy at the bike shop and he will cut you a deal for balancing. If its less than $10 then I would do it for sure.

I thought if you did balance the tires of the BRP , it would make sense you would achieve a longer tire life considering the speed the tire runs...:thumbsup:

I always balance mine. In the front you can really feel the difference on the road. In the rear I can't feel it so much as I can SEE it. When the rear is unbalanced and I'm crusing down the road I can look down/back and see the wheel hopping up and down. Strange that I can't really feel it--but I'm sure my shock doesn't like it.

Funny because just the other day I saw a DRZ-400S on the highway and his rear wheel was hopping like crazy. I thought, yep--that wheel could use a balance.

I just stick a metal rod through the hub and set it on a couple of jackstands. By spinning (slow and gentle works best for me) it becomes obvios where the heavy spot is. The front can be balance quite accurately that way. The rear is a little tougher cause it seems there's more weight and friction keeping the wheel from turning as smoothly. But you can still get it balanced pretty well.

There are one or two comercially available home-use balancers that are basically the same thing I use except with they have their own low friction bearings.

I get stick-on lead weights from tire shops. Most places will just give me a couple sticks when I try and buy them. Duct tape keeps them secure between tire changes.

Hey Guys,

I bought an 06 XR650R with a stock front tire, unbalanced, and a Dunlop 606 on the rear, which had been balanced. I am about to change out the tires, front and rear, and wonder if it is common to balance the tires of the

XR650R? Give me some feedback if you can... Thanks :thumbsup:

Philip,

Check out www.innovativebalancing.com.

:worthy:

I must be lucky in over 30 years of changin tires on bikes I have never balanced one and never had a problem

I must be lucky in over 30 years of changin tires on bikes I have never balanced one and never had a problem

Anyone else not balance?