HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ridermannow

Need info on a 2001 YZ426F....?

13 posts in this topic

I am looking to buy this bike used, it's in good shape, and I have some questions..

1.) What are the specs on this bike, such as what kind of frame, how much does it weigh, etc.?

2.) What is a good price to pay for a used 2001 YZ426F in good shape?

3.) Is this bike comparable to the new YZ450F's? Can this bike be raced on a MX/SX track?

4.) Why is it only 426cc and not 450cc.. is this Yamaha 's first year at the 4-stroke? Is it bad to get a first year bike like this if so?

5.) Any other info I should know about this bike? such as does it have notorious mechanical problems, etc.? or is this bike rock solid reliable?

Thanks

1>Get a manual here (free). They weigh about 250, wet, and have about 44-46hp.

2>Depends on your market. Probably between $1700-$2500.

3> It is older, heavier, and less well refined than the '03-'05 YZ450, but comparable, nevertheless. It can be ridden competitively in most sportsman classes, but you'll be very tired. It is worlds away from the '06/7 model.

4&5> The '01 was the second year of the 426, which was an expansion on the '98-'99 YZ400. The 400 was the first modern MX 4 stroke built by anyone in at least 15 years prior to that. That was a first year bike, and it was an anvil with knobbies and suspension. The 426 has one area that I'd call a weakness at all, and that would be a tendency to wear out the locking lugs of teh top three gears to the point that at very high hours or a good deal of abuse, they start bouncing out of gear under a load. Otherwise, they're more reliable that you have a right to expect them to be.

Well I am trying to decide between a 2001 YZ426F for about $1,600 (good shape, need new fork seals though, not sure how much this will cost?)

Or a...

2000 YZ250 in good condition for about $1700.

What do you think is the better bike to go with?

I will mostly be using it on track but also in woods about 40% of the time.

Tough call. The YZ250 would probably be the better MX bike for most people, but thumpers are thumpers, and it's hard not to like them as a woods bike, or even on the track.

The fork seals will cost something like $40 for the parts, depending on where you shop, $40 -60 for a seal driver, and 1 1/2 hours work. Or take the two fork legs to a shop for about $130.

I don't think I want to do this work myself, so what would a shop charge if I brought the entire bike into them?

Tough call. The YZ250 would probably be the better MX bike for most people, but thumpers are thumpers, and it's hard not to like them as a woods bike, or even on the track.

The fork seals will cost something like $40 for the parts, depending on where you shop, $40 -60 for a seal driver, and 1 1/2 hours work. Or take the two fork legs to a shop for about $130.

Hey grayracer... getting ready to replace the seals on my 00' 426. Do you HAVE to have seal drivers to do the job?

I have an 02 yzf426 and still does great , very reliable , I dont race but I play on mx and woods every weekend

Hey grayracer... getting ready to replace the seals on my 00' 426. Do you HAVE to have seal drivers to do the job?

No, people have made their own from PVC pipe sections. But it's a whole lot simpler with the driver than without, there's less chance of damaging the seals when using one, and you'll have it next time. The same driver will work on any 46mm, and often 47mm fork.

No, people have made their own from PVC pipe sections. But it's a whole lot simpler with the driver than without, there's less chance of damaging the seals when using one, and you'll have it next time. The same driver will work on any 46mm, and often 47mm fork.

Cool! Thanks for the info!

Are the seals visibly destroyed? Because I had a leaker on my '01, I tried an old trick that cleared it up. Take a strip of film negative, run it between the seal and the slider. Sometimes this drags out the piece of dirt/sand/whatever that is causing the weep. Worth a try before spending a bunch of money.

Well I am trying to decide between a 2001 YZ426F for about $1,600 (good shape, need new fork seals though, not sure how much this will cost?)

Or a...

2000 YZ250 in good condition for about $1700.

What do you think is the better bike to go with?

I will mostly be using it on track but also in woods about 40% of the time.

I have a 426 and a 250 2T and both are set up for woods. I love them both for different reasons. The 250 is light and nimble, and is less prone to overheating than 4 stroke bikes. The 426 has great power from top to bottom and I don't have to work very hard to ride it quickly even though it's heavier.

I believe that I am slightly faster (in most scenarios) on my 250 2T, but for pure fun and pleasure of riding I give the nod to the 426.

As far as racing is concerned keep in mind that it is 90% rider and 10% bike...set your bike up right for you and you can win. I'd take Gray's comment about winning the Sportsman's class a step further and say that there's no reason that you couldn't win up through the B classes on those bikes. I watched a local pro beat two thirds of the 250A class in a recent arenacross...on his pitbike.