HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
motopsycho650

650R rear suspension linkage bearings.

5 posts in this topic

I was doing the whole, clean & grease the swing are bearings. While in there, I took out the triangle shaped linkage. One of the bearings is totally shot. Play in all directions, dirt & grit in there. It's the smallest one on the linkage, it connects to the bottom of the rear shock. The dust seal was mangled up a bit, and since I haven't had it apart before, I'm sure the factory screwed up the seal.

Just FYI to everyone with a pig. check all your suspension bearings once in awhile.

I was doing the whole, clean & grease the swing are bearings. While in there, I took out the triangle shaped linkage. One of the bearings is totally shot. Play in all directions, dirt & grit in there. It's the smallest one on the linkage, it connects to the bottom of the rear shock. The dust seal was mangled up a bit, and since I haven't had it apart before, I'm sure the factory screwed up the seal.

Just FYI to everyone with a pig. check all your suspension bearings once in awhile.

I just bought the whole linkage new on Ebay and later a new swingarm. Now all I have to do is figure out a way to get the seized swingarm bolt out. Anyways I've seen two new units and my existing linkage and all of them have play at the bottom shock mount hole. You are right, grease the hell out of the suspension components, axles and brake pins.

How much play is normal in the rear linkage?

All my bearings are in good shape and greased, but I have about a 1/4" of play up and down at the end of the swingarm, with the bike on a stand and no load on the suspension.

How much play is normal in the rear linkage?

All my bearings are in good shape and greased, but I have about a 1/4" of play up and down at the end of the swingarm, with the bike on a stand and no load on the suspension.

That is the bearing on the triangle suspension linkage for the bottom of the shock absorber. I noticed the same play and as I was digging, I found that bearing to be bad. There should be no play in the rear suspension.

1/4 inch seems excessive to me, i did mine about a year ago, and really havnt ridden it (less than 500 miles, only half racing) much and there is just the tiniest bit of perceptable play in the swingarm.

you should probly go for a clean regrease and reassemble if all is well.

i also notice that you live where there is water(we dont have anyhere) and that of course leads to faster bearing failure.

Mike