What is the best overall Dunlop tire to use?

I was wondering which tire that dunlop makes is the best overall tire to use when racing. I know the type of terrain has a lot to do with it but I was wondering which one would be the best for the money. I currently have on a D756 front and rear and was kinda wanting the 773 but it is for soft conditions like mud and sand. I want a tire that dunlop makes that will last awhile and hookup real good.

Don't buy a 773 if you want a tire that lasts. I put one on my YZ250 and went trail riding, the knobs were all round at the end of the day. I couldn't even imagine trying to run one on my YZ426. Try the 952 for durability. My buddy runs one on his YZ250 on the trails and it hooks up everywhere and so far has lasted a good long while. Or if your just riding track then get the 756, but not the 756RR.

I was wondering which tire that dunlop makes is the best overall tire to use when racing. I know the type of terrain has a lot to do with it but I was wondering which one would be the best for the money. I currently have on a D756 front and rear and was kinda wanting the 773 but it is for soft conditions like mud and sand. I want a tire that dunlop makes that will last awhile and hookup real good.

I did a search, here's a good thread.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139822&highlight=bridgestone+m402a

For the rear, D952. Very few tires hook up better in more different conditions, and almost nothing lasts longer.

Fronts, 952 is a good all around, the 745 is a good on where conditions vary a lot between near soft to hard, and the new 742FA is good choice when the range is from soft to near hard.

The newer Dunlops appear to work better over a broader, less focused rnge of soil types that the older issues.

There is no one correct answer for this question. All depends on track conditions and type of dirt/terrain. The 756RR is the best tire they make for racing in most conditions but they can be worn out in 1 day and cost big bucks - so until you are getting tires for free this option is not a wise one. I choose a tire that will suit most conditions and that will last a decent amt of time. The Dunlop 756, 952 and 755 fit this. But I prefer Michelin tires for wear characteristics and hook up after years of Dunlop use. My favored tire is the MS3 Michelin Starcross. They hook up better in my geography and last much longer than any Dunlop I have used:thumbsup:

The 755 front tire is one of my favorites but seem to be a little slick on the first ride. They get way better after a few rides and last longer than a 756. I have not tried a 952 myself but put one on my sons YZF-450, he can kill a 756 in 2 or 3 rides. The 952 hooked up well everywhere and the tire looked good after a lot of hard rides. It lasted so long on the outside I got worried so pulled it off to check inside and it was toast. I would definately recommend a 952, just check it inside if you are one of the fast guys.

• 4 weeks later...
For the rear, D952. Very few tires hook up better in more different conditions, and almost nothing lasts longer.

Fronts, 952 is a good all around, the 745 is a good on where conditions vary a lot between near soft to hard, and the new 742FA is good choice when the range is from soft to near hard.

The newer Dunlops appear to work better over a broader, less focused rnge of soil types that the older issues.

hey gray,

have you used the 745 rear? it looks like the same tread pattern as the trelleborg tenmasters i currently run but i'm sure it has to be cheaper,the trelle lasts a long time and tracks well up until near death but i'd be willing to try a 745. the frnt looks close to the bridgestone ed11 i use also...basically i need performance in mostly wet and claymud (occasionally dry) with roots and rocks. current package runs that stuff very well but $100 a wack for the trelle is depressing.:applause:

Haven't tried the 745 rear. The front works pretty well over a fairly wide range, better in harder than in soft, but better overall than a 756, or a B'Stone M401. I want to try the new 742FA front next at one of the looser venues.

SoCal soils run from sandy to DG, to various clay compounds (which define both hard pack and the greasiest, gummy slime you ever saw), and are about impossible to pick a single tire for. Having a selection of them would be best, but it's not practical to change them 2 or 3 times each lap. :applause:

• 1 year later...