HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pbusanga

Rear wheel spacers XR650R

14 posts in this topic

hi everyone i am a bit confused. wondering if someone out there could explain to me how the Rear wheel spacers work on the XR650R. surely if you tighten them up they will bear against the inner races of the bearings on one side and the swingarm on the other (i notice they put a steel plate against the swing arm to prevent wear) this would prevent the bearing from spinning would'nt it.

i am sure i must be having a brain fart as this does not seem possible. help anyone.

i noticed that the spacer on the sprocket side has actually deformed and is recessed into the swingarm axle groove a little (you can see the shape of the swingarm axle groove embossed into the spacer) also the bearings appear to be seized (less than 1000 fairly easy miles on bike) what is goin on. i will have to buy a new set of spacers but dont want the same thing to happen again

thanks in advance for any help. also could anyone reccomend where to buy these spacers:excuseme:

CONTACT Billanjack he makes some really trick stainless steel rear wheel spacers that will out last any of the other XR only, 1x, or OEM. They work really well and will last a life time.

how the Rear wheel spacers work on the XR650R. surely if you tighten them up they will bear against the inner races of the bearings on one side and the swingarm on the other this would prevent the bearing from spinning would'nt it.

i am sure i must be having a brain fart

Yes, brain fart. The spacer does as you mention but the inside of the inner race contacts a spacer tube between the two inner races. Everything then is one solid line and the bearings roll on top of that (inner race).

Your worn spacer (fat side) against the swingarm doesn't sound right. I can't say as I've seen that. Worn in the sealing area yes, but not squished (if ya want to call it that) like yours. Maybe it's been over-tightened at some point. Starting out fresh with all new parts inside would be good.

Put new bearings and seals as well as spacers, maybe even the inside spacer tube too. Keep as much water as possible out of there and they should last plenty long.

Yep, sounds like a distorted spacer tube in the hub, between the bearings. You might want to check to see if it's even present. I've taken apart more than one used bike that had that inner spacer tube "deleted" entirely.

Hey pbusga,

I'll send you a PM of the axle spacers picture. Right now I have the race style ones with a retainer lip and an OD chamfer for easier wheel changes. I can have a set of stock configuration ones made if you wish.

Billahjack

They are also called axle collars. Here are some pictures:

Here is the stock rear aluminum axle collars (spacers) after a few hundred hours. Notice the grooves on them from the bearing seals. Also notice the compressed portion on the top surface where the axle nut was overtightened and deformed the aluminum:

worn.jpg

My Stainless Steel versions of the stock axle collars (Spacers) will last much longer:

AxleCollars.jpg

Finally, BT4Stroke had me custom make some for his race bikes. These have a lip and a round on them to make wheel changes easier. See picture below:

RaceCollars.jpg

Cool. How does the lip make it easier? It makes them less likely to fall out?

You are exactly right. The lip grabs the inner-most bearing dust seal. The round on the edge helps the spacers fit between the swing arm and brake caliper mount without knocking the spacers out of the wheels.

XR's Only and Precision concepts sell a similar version but it has a larger outside diameter with a chamfer to assist more with keeping the spacers in during wheel changes. They use aluminum which lasts considerably less than stainless steel. I am cutting cost by using smaller diameter stock than the other designs.

I just got a pair of these axle collars from billahjack last week, and just installed them over the weekend. I can vouch that they are a perfect fit, and a huge improvment in quality over the stockers!

I just PM'ed Billahjack but does anyone know if he or anyone else is doing these still in stainless steel? Thanks.