HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Portmod7

Synthetic or not?

13 posts in this topic

Changin the oil in a YZ and WR450. Is synthetic(mobil 1) a good way to go or not? Not sure if it would harm the engine or anything like that. I can't find in my manual where it says NOT TO, but it also doesn't say it would be better to use synthetic. Any input guys?

Thanks

Changin the oil in a YZ and WR450. Is synthetic(mobil 1) a good way to go or not? Not sure if it would harm the engine or anything like that. I can't find in my manual where it says NOT TO, but it also doesn't say it would be better to use synthetic. Any input guys?

Thanks

Synthetic, yes.

I use MX4T Mobil 1 10w40, made for motorcycles. It's formulated specifically for motorcycle wet clutches/trannies.

Of course, I've heard a lot of good things about Shell Rotella T, and it's super cheap too.

Synthetic, yes.

I use MX4T Mobil 1 10w40, made for motorcycles. It's formulated specifically for motorcycle wet clutches/trannies.

Of course, I've heard a lot of good things about Shell Rotella T, and it's super cheap too.

Second those both..

Change it often. It is only 1litre. So it is cheap whichever way you do it. Avoid the friction modifiers.. But I use Mobile 1 synthetic and change every 10 hours max..

Synthetics ahve several advantages over petro oils for motorcycle use. Do, however, be sure you are not using an automotive oil displaying the API EC II grade in the API circle on the back of the label. These have the potential to cause problems.

Also, oils formulated for cars and/or trucks may not have the ability to retain their viscosity when used as a gear oil, as is the case with YZF's. For that reason, any such oil should be changed every 3 hours, unless you can produce an oil analysis that shows the oil can stay in grade longer. Even some "motorcycle" oils are weak in that area.

Mobil 1 MX4T (now called Racing 4T Motorcycle, I believe) and Amsoil MCF and MCV are 3 oils that do hold up for up to ten hours and more. There are a couple of others.

Read: (page 9)

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

I ran Mobil 1 gold cap in my 426 for most of the time I owned it, and now run it in my 450. I don't think there's any good reason not to switch.

grayracer, would you be concerned even about an oil like the Mobil 1 15-50 gold cap? I bought several quarts when one of the K-marts near here was shutting its doors cheap and planned to run it for a while, but if I need to be switching now's the time as I'm about to drain my oil and install my new Scotts oil filter.

I'm no expert but I was told by a top auto racing machinist not to use synthetic on a newly built car engine for the first 10K miles as it would not break in properly. I didn't use synthetic on my WR for the first 400 miles for that reason......I am not sure if there is any credence to it but I'm interested in other opinions.

Thanks

Like GR said, there are 2-3 good ones to choose. Thanks to his suggestions and the link to the"oil shootout" he's converted a few of us to better oils. I used to think Yamalube 4R was decent oil until I read the oil tests that GR has provided a link to. Lots of good testing conducted.

I'm using the Mobil 4T Racing currently, but I'll be switching to Amsoil soon.

Listen to GR...:bonk:

grayracer, would you be concerned even about an oil like the Mobil 1 15-50 gold cap?

Until I saw either a used oil analysis, or the results of a lab shear resistance test, yes, I would. The trouble is that there is no compelling reason for an oil blender to go to the expense of using the tougher VII additives used in gear oils in their automotive, or even diesel lubes unless they are blending an oil for transmissions, so most don't.
I'm no expert but I was told by a top auto racing machinist not to use synthetic on a newly built car engine for the first 10K miles as it would not break in properly. .
It's a myth. Here's a list of the cars that are factory filled with Mobil 1:

* Acura RDX

* Aston Martin

* Bentley Amage and Bentley GT

* Cadillac CTS, CTS-V, XLR, XLR-V, SRX and STS and STS-V

* Chevrolet Corvette C6 and Z06

* Chevrolet SSR

* Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS

* Chrysler 300C SRT-8 and Crossfire SRT-6

* Cobalt SS

* Dodge Ram SRT-10

* Dodge Charger SRT-8, Magnum , and Viper

* Jeep Cherokee SRT-8

* Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles

* Mercedes SLR

* Mitsubishi EVO III

* Pontiac GTO

* All Porsche vehicles

* Saturn Red Line

* Viper SRT-10

Note it's mostly high performance models. Chevrolet will void the warranty on a Corvette if a synthetic equal to M1 is not used. I have broken all of my engines in on synthetics or synthetics blends for about 20 years, and haven't had one problem as a result.

It's a myth. Here's a list of the cars that are factory filled with Mobil 1:

* Acura RDX

* Aston Martin

* Bentley Amage and Bentley GT

* Cadillac CTS, CTS-V, XLR, XLR-V, SRX and STS and STS-V

* Chevrolet Corvette C6 and Z06

* Chevrolet SSR

* Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS

* Chrysler 300C SRT-8 and Crossfire SRT-6

* Cobalt SS

* Dodge Ram SRT-10

* Dodge Charger SRT-8, Magnum , and Viper

* Jeep Cherokee SRT-8

* Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles

* Mercedes SLR

* Mitsubishi EVO III

* Pontiac GTO

* All Porsche vehicles

* Saturn Red Line

* Viper SRT-10

Not sure they use Mobil 1 in my car, but my BMW ONLY uses synthetic and my warranty calls for it to be changed every 15K. I thought that was a bit high in mileage, but the Germans tend to know what they are doing. :bonk:

i used mobil 1 red cap 20 -50 for 2 years in my RMZ 250 put 110 hrs on it.

now i'm using it in my 07 YZF 450.

Since it is the same basic oil that MX4T is, I have no reason to think that it's not a fabulous oil in every respect other than shear resistance, and I am not certain that it has any problem in that regard, either, but absent either of the two tests I mentioned before, it may very well be thinning out on you more than you realize. You can find out, if you're curious. Send a sample of your used oil to Blackstone Labs (their web site has the how-to info). Then you'll know.

Looks like its time to re-evaluate my choice of oils. My Wesson/Crisco blend may not be up to snuff