DRZ400E vs BRP

Looking for opinions on these two bikes head to head. I am racing the DRZ400E in AMA D-38 n the southwest desert. I worry about dragging the weight around, suspension on the heavier bike and just plain wearing me out. The DRZ doesn't wear me out too bad. It has the basic mods, jetting, pipe and corrected suspension for my weight. What would I gain? What would I lose? Thanks for your time and opinions.:bonk: Looking for an education.

Chris, I have not ridden the DRZ, but I think for D38 stuff the XR is a great bike. You would gain a little weight and a boatload of torque. Stability is probably the BRP's strong point as well so blitzing the sand washes can be a full throttle no fear situation even without a damper. If the DRZ does not tire you out, the BRP will wear you out even less.

Looking for opinions on these two bikes head to head. I am racing the DRZ400E in AMA D-38 n the southwest desert. I worry about dragging the weight around, suspension on the heavier bike and just plain wearing me out. The DRZ doesn't wear me out too bad. It has the basic mods, jetting, pipe and corrected suspension for my weight. What would I gain? What would I lose? Thanks for your time and opinions.:naughty: Looking for an education.

Welcome to TT, I also am curious of the answers to this question from the opposite point of view! :bonk:

I've owned both, but my DRZ E was a motard for 90% of its life. the pig is happy at a much faster blitz pace, the DRZ does it all if you change gearing for each race depending on situation.

Do you crash much? or just fall over? the BRP will wear you out with the kicker if you do.

are you stronger in slow technical stuff or fast stuff? if you don't have the nerve to kick the 650 up another gear and get it into the 70/80/90mph range or more, maybe better stick to the DRZ as its slightly more nimble.

how much will you loose money wise switching? an issue to some

on a side note right now I have a BRP, and a WR450, I race the WR in BITD and whiplash races. Just feel more comfy on it, and it tops out around 95, what little extra I could coax out of the pig isn't worth it to me in slow stuff.

Scan1.sized.jpg

I'd put kibbleweit staniless valves in it if I'm replacing it. and after 15 months of about 2 rides per week, I finally had to adjust the valves. so the motor seems pretty darn durable. and I spend a lot of time at the dunes near the revlimiter.

wheelie_001.sized.jpg

that being said it won't last as long as the pig.

ken

OK, sounds like I am sticking with the DRZ. As far as speed goes I am comfortable with the 80mph the DRZ can pull topped out, I don't fell the need or have the b***s to go any faster. I tend to drop the bike at least two or three times a race:banghead: so the kicker might wear me out. I remember kicking my 86' XL600 and that could be a real pain, the E button is great:p . The technical stuff isn't a problem, like the DRZ, easier to pick up too. So I guess I will stay where I ma for now. Now a baja dual sport ride might require a BRP. Thanks.