Has anyone used Trials Tires

Bud ran a set on his DRZ400se (dual sport) and they were awesome off road. He made one trip on the pavement in 90 degree heat and literally tore all the knobs off his center row in less then 30 miles. They were great in the dirt, rocks, county dirt roads but any pavement will eat them up. Based on the power difference I think the WR would tear them up faster, but would still work well for off road stuff.

Went riding with a guy that installed a trials tire the night before on his KTM300 a couple weeks back.

He had an IRC and we all looked at him like he was crazy. The thing was so soft it was like bubble gum. I thought it would never make the full day without chunking some knobs but at the end of the day it still looked good.

Where we were riding its mostly hardpack with lots of rock and tree roots but the final trail back is about ¼ mile of sand we even did some muddy creek crossings. He said the tire did very well on the trail even the hill climbs and it just sticks to rock ledges. He even said it was ok in the sand but I didn’t see much roost through the sand and he was screaming the engine.

Overall I think for trail riding they might be the ticket. I’m going riding with the same guys tomorrow and I think another guy installed one also. Now that I found this thread I’ll pay more attention to the bikes and give an update.

For woods riding the trials tire can't be beat...I love mine and will not go back to the nobby.

Chris

Went riding today and the trials tire guy was a no show. But we did ride with a guy who does a lot of GNCC racing (smoked me in the woods) and he was on standard rubber. No magic tire hmm… must be the wrist.:worthy:

So my fact finding mission was a bust :excuseme:

I am running an Enduro Comp3 on the rear and ride mainly high 2nd gear/low mid 3rd gear grass/light muddy routes and fast gravel fire roads. Looking at all the reviews on the trial tyre, it seems to get great reviews. Would a trial tyre suit my riding on my WR426?

From the reviews there doesnt seem much point in ever using a knobby again?!

Grass and light mud????? stick with a knobby. From what I have read and seen, trials tires are best in rocky and root infested trails. How they do in loose gravel/ rock hill climbs.....? My buddy took 30 minutes to make a tricky hill climb with his trials tire; me: 5 minutes with my D739. He said he wasnt used to the tire...... we will see how it goes this weekend.

Jesse

biggest problem with trials tires is that they require lower pressures for proper traction.....

that coupled with the relatively thin sidewalls make it a poor choice for bombing around in the rocks. They are more susceptible to pinch flats, especially when aired down for maximum bite.

I haven't encountered a single situation yet where a nobby was better than the trials tire. I run a heavy duty tube and haven't suffered a pinch flat yet in over 400 miles. I can climb hills better and easier than I ever could with a nobby. I run 9-10 psi....Plus they last twice as long as a nobby. For me and my riding style trials tires are superior, I will never go back to a nobby for the rear.

Chris

Just rode my first 40 miles on a Michelin x-11 rear and I'm impressed so far even though the conditions today were perfect for my usual tire (Michelin s12). The tire softened up the rear suspension feel and hooked up great everywhere. If only my forks felt so plush. Can't wait to get into the hardpack and real rock where I normally ride in the summer to see how this tire really works. I have high hopes and may have found my new favorite.

I haven't encountered a single situation yet where a nobby was better than the trials tire. I run a heavy duty tube and haven't suffered a pinch flat yet in over 400 miles. I can climb hills better and easier than I ever could with a nobby. I run 9-10 psi....Plus they last twice as long as a nobby. For me and my riding style trials tires are superior, I will never go back to a nobby for the rear.

Chris

depends on the terrain. montana provides more "soil" type riding conditions if i am right......whereas, my riding areas......pinch flat country. nothing but hard rock. as far as the eye can see.

http://www.planetblade.com/arins/bike/nelson/IMG_7077.jpg

Mileage: I had over 500 miles on my first Dunlop 803

Traction: I ride in the Phoenix area (rocky single track) and the tire sticks to everything

Feel: I DO feel the sidewall flex every once in a while and I have to stop to see if it's flat. I run 11-12 PSI which might be high for a trials tire.

Normalcy: I usually turn a knobby around when the leading edges get round. I did this same trick on the 803 and it chunked 3 knobs on the first ride. I don't think they like being turned around.

depends on the terrain. montana provides more "soil" type riding conditions if i am right......whereas, my riding areas......pinch flat country. nothing but hard rock. as far as the eye can see.

http://www.planetblade.com/arins/bike/nelson/IMG_7077.jpg

Montana provides all types of terrain. I live in Western Montana and most of the trails I have ridden lately are very rocky. I am simply stating the fact that I have ridden both types of tire and generally speaking the performance of the trials is unbeatable. Try one, if it doesn't work report here....If you do like it be prepared for longer wear life and easier riding in difficult terrain.

Chris

Mileage: I had over 500 miles on my first Dunlop 803

Traction: I ride in the Phoenix area (rocky single track) and the tire sticks to everything

Feel: I DO feel the sidewall flex every once in a while and I have to stop to see if it's flat. I run 11-12 PSI which might be high for a trials tire.

Normalcy: I usually turn a knobby around when the leading edges get round. I did this same trick on the 803 and it chunked 3 knobs on the first ride. I don't think they like being turned around.

try the Pirelli MT43 next time.......you can't feel the flex at all even at 5psi.

Will do!

I read that a while ago and they are probably about 60% correct in what they say, I rate them this way running at 8psi.

Michy X-11....Awesome grip, lots of wollow, shortest life span.

Dunlop 803......great grip, a bit of wollow, moderate life span.

Pirelli MT-43-...Great grip, no wollow, excellent life span (1200kms+)

I have never had a flat using a trials tyre and I ride some pretty rocky terrain, I will use the MT-43 forever, the best way to describe it is a cross between a knobby and a true trials tyre(X-11), tough as nails.

Montana provides all types of terrain. I live in Western Montana and most of the trails I have ridden lately are very rocky. I am simply stating the fact that I have ridden both types of tire and generally speaking the performance of the trials is unbeatable. Try one, if it doesn't work report here....If you do like it be prepared for longer wear life and easier riding in difficult terrain.

Chris

running heavy side-walled hard terrain tires, coupled with extra heavyduty tubes, run at correct pressure, and while attempting to be careful around the "big" rocks.......i still manage to get a pinch flat now and again.

i seriously cant imagine the tube inside a trials tire lasting more than 30 miles out here.

Tire balls etc... would help solve that problem.

I am not trying to convince you of anything here...I just wanted to add my actual experience with trials tires in this thread...."Has anyone used trials tires..." I don't get the impression you have used them? I like my trials tire, it works better for me than any nobby I have ever used.

Chris

what do you guys reccomend 90% technical trails, 5 % fast jeep roads,5% hard surface.

need good choices for front!:applause: