HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oldfordz

yz450f lowering questions...

8 posts in this topic

I am trying to figure out what to do with my 04 450f. I am only 5'4" and very uncomfortable on the bike due to its being so tall. Two options. Storm makes a rear lowering link that lowers it 1.5" I can get near 3/4" by raising the front tubes...OR I can have a local shop lower the bike internally for near the same $$. I just never rode a bike lowered internally and have two questions. Will I lose travel in the suspension and regret it?? and when its time to sell the bike for another, can it be changed back for a regular size or tall rider? Thanks in advance guys!

If I was you I would buy the lowering springs. The question you need to ask yourself is how much big jumping will you be doing? Just keep the stock springs and convert it back if the next buyer wants it that way. Who knows, it might be a nice selling point to leave it low for someone about your size.

might try a low seat, i have one on my yz400f and at 5-6

i can actually touch both feet. just a thought.

I ordered a storm lowering link today that will give me 1.5" and may try to shave the seat to get what else I need. I can only get about 3/4" by raising the tubes in the front and have no idea how it will handle, but I don't ride at high speeds on straights, so I will just have to see how it handles. Worse case, have the front forks done to match the rear...

yeah... i was surpised how much easier it was to touch. the low seat is only 1 inch lower than the stock seat, but it made a huge difference.

yeah... i was surpised how much easier it was to touch. the low seat is only 1 inch lower than the stock seat, but it made a huge difference.

Some people have done a DIY mod that involves removing the seat cover, cutting the foam then replacing the cover. Cheap way to get your seated position lower to the ground and won't affect fork or swingarm travel..

just finished shaving about an inch out of my seat and sanding it back into shape. I ran out of staples and Lowe's is closed at 1am here...go figure...now I will just have to install the lowering link and explain to my wife as to why there is foam on our electric knife this Thanksgiving from the seat mod! Thanks again guys!

I shaved the seat on my '06 450 by about 1.5" and regretted it. To me it made a huge difference in my cornering ability (for the worse). I felt like I was sitting in a hole and reaching up for the bars. The bike pushed through the corners like a tractor.