Metal in the Oil Filter?

When I changed the oil I found metal shavings in the filter!

I know it cant be good.........but how serious can it be.:bonk:

01' WR426

If there's quite a bit of metal, pull the clutch cover and check the clutch basket. The basket failed on my previous Yamaha (broken fingers) and completely destroyed the bottom end of the motor with metal from the gears that the broken basket fingers took out. I had some metal in my oil filter just before it happened and hoped for the best. BIG mistake. :naughty: If you find grooves in the stock basket I strongly recommend a Hinson clutch basket.

I had a 98 YZ 400 and it was the big end rod bearing. I did the same thing, left it and hoped for the best. Same big mistake. I don't believe any metal is normal!! Maybe tiny tiny metal flakes in the oil, almost like it is a pearl paint, but no large debris. Something is going bad and you would be better off in the long run to tear it down now and find out what is wrong!

I had a 98 YZ 400 and it was the big end rod bearing. I did the same thing, left it and hoped for the best. Same big mistake. I don't believe any metal is normal!! Maybe tiny tiny metal flakes in the oil, almost like it is a pearl paint, but no large debris. Something is going bad and you would be better off in the long run to tear it down now and find out what is wrong!

Exact same issue with my 99 WR400. Rebuilt the crank with a new rod and big-end bearing and no more flakes.

WR426 '02 Are these flakes actually metal or are they aluminum? When i ran the magnet over the ones I found in the oil filter none have stuck to the magnet. What material is the big end connecting rod bearing made out of and would they always be shiny in color, and is this the flaw of this engine? How long have you guys noticed the shavings before the bearing went?

On my 98 YZ400 that had the crank issue, the metal flakes were magnetic. When mine was giving up, the amount of flakes progressively increased. All the way until the end, and amount was not alarming. But all it took was one long hill climb. I will also add that, looking back, I could hear the knocking of the crank bearing. After the engine was rebuilt it was noticeably quieter. I hope this helps. I just hate to see you make the same mistake I did. When it finally gave out the engine locked up (the crank bearing) but the oil filter clogged with metal which starved the head of oil and ruined a cam journal. So I had to replace the head too. THAT was expensive!!

the only downfall to magnetic plugs is that is doesnt do jack for titanium and aluminum shavings..

It still catches the metal though. The engine and trans share the same oil so there will always be some small bits of metal on the magnet or on the filter screen from the gears. I always brake clean the filter from inside to out and wash it out over a white shop towel. Then I compare them to see if it is any worse than the oil change before. After a while you get to see what's normal. Have you owned this bike since new and it's just starting to put flakes in the filter or did you just get this bike and are doing what may be a rare service on it? ? WR Dave.