I was wondering,has anyone swapped a 2006 YZF450 header for a 2007

header?...I noticed that the 2007 is tapered and then widens out at muffler

connection,whereas,on the 2006 it stays the same diameter from exhaust

port to muffler connection,and then where it joins to muffler they use a

spacer/gasket that makes up for the different diameter's.It seems that

the 2007 header would be a better,if it was joined to the larger 2006 muffler,

(2006 exhaust exit 1 9/16",2007 exhaust exit approx. 1 3/16")...plus,the

2007 is tapered to speed up exhaust velocity.Is this swap possible?:bonk:

The '07 header is stepped, not tapered. There's a distinct difference in the effect.

If the end diameter of the header matches that of the '06 mid pipe, you can try it. However, one TT'er recently posted that he bought an '06 exhaust used to put on his '07, and I believe that he said it did not directly fit. He did use the '06 end cap on his '07, and claimed to be impressed with the improvement in low and lower mid range power.

The '07 header is stepped, not tapered. There's a distinct difference in the effect.

If the end diameter of the header matches that of the '06 mid pipe, you can try it. However, one TT'er recently posted that he bought an '06 exhaust used to put on his '07, and I believe that he said it did not directly fit. He did use the '06 end cap on his '07, and claimed to be impressed with the improvement in low and lower mid range power.

Grayracer,I was looking at an '07' at the track and it looks like it will fit into

midpipe,as far as stepped,that's what I meant,but I'm surprised that no one

else has thought of this swap,or actually tried it?...I want to keep the stock

muffler and just change the headpipe to a stepped pipe that will fit into the

midpipe/muffler without the spacer/gasket,so both mid-pipe and header are

the same diameter,and also "Stepped".any suggestion's? THX

In either bike, the step up from header diameter to mid pipe diameter is a designed in element of the system. Eliminating the gasket (you refer to it as a spacer) would alter this.

The gasket for an '06 is the same as in earlier models. The gasket for an '07 is a different part number, which suggests a different diameter.

Absent actually going and measuring for myself, I'll guess that you can either get a used '07 system and swap the end cap as previously mentioned, or buy an '07 header and a slip-on muffler for the '07. Either of those will at least fit.

the 06 and 07 header are different sizes... here is a little known secret...

try a GYTR header for a 03-05 yzf450. part # GYT-5TA93-50-00 for the stainless and # GYT-5TA93-50-10 for the ti.

the increase in low to mid is just amazing...I've been running one on my 06 all last year, I just wish my 07 had the same low end as my 06...

In either bike, the step up from header diameter to mid pipe diameter is a designed in element of the system. Eliminating the gasket (you refer to it as a spacer) would alter this.

The gasket for an '06 is the same as in earlier models. The gasket for an '07 is a different part number, which suggests a different diameter.

Absent actually going and measuring for myself, I'll guess that you can either get a used '07 system and swap the end cap as previously mentioned, or buy an '07 header and a slip-on muffler for the '07. Either of those will at least fit.

The insulator gaskets are indeed different. I put a 2006 quiet GYTR slip on muffler on my 07 and had to change the gasket. The outside diameter of the gasket is the same, but the 06 gasket is much thicker making the inside diameter smaller (cannot slide over the 07 larger diameter header pipe. After getting the correct 07 gasket, the 06 muffler slide on perfectly.

the 06 and 07 header are different sizes... here is a little known secret...

try a GYTR header for a 03-05 yzf450. part # GYT-5TA93-50-00 for the stainless and # GYT-5TA93-50-10 for the ti.

the increase in low to mid is just amazing...I've been running one on my 06 all last year, I just wish my 07 had the same low end as my 06...

Interesting tip. Are you running the header with a stock muffler?

Greyracer,when I go to track,or if my local Yammie dealer has an '07' on the

floor,I'm going to measure OD of pipe (both header and mid-pipe),and as far

as the insulator/gasket that goes on the '07',that may interfere with fitment

on this proposed swap,IMO it can be eliminated,if it needs to be,for swap.

Most aftermarket exhaust's on street bikes (4 into one,Ti or stainless)which

have slip fits,joined with springs,have no gasket/insulators.they use special lube for expansion/contraction,but really don't leak exhaust gases as long as its a tight fit. THX ED

rickk,

yup I've got the stock muffler on ,y 06 along with the gytr header. The low end is just amazing...

racerx,OK,you have a '06' yzf450,using a stock muffler/mid-pipe,and your

using a GYTR header,is the header a"STEPPED" header,i.e. smaller at the exhaust port,wider at the midpipe connection,so as that you don't have to use the stock insulator/gasket(donut)....another words,how is the GYTR header different from stock?,larger diameter where header joins midpipe?

and smaller diameter near exhaust?(compared to stock) THX ED

toofast2,

Its the same diameter as the stock 06 header but very short in length, it tucks in very close to the water hose, Just the opposite of a low-boy. I figured it would only give me top end but I was suprised . pm me your e-mail and I'll send you a pic...

RacerX,you mean from the front of the pipe to the rear,it's the same diameter

as stock!,and the only difference is length,(another words,bend in pipe is

tighter,so it's shorter overall.) shorter head pipe usally means more top

end...I actually thought the GYTR pipe was at least larger in diameter at the

rear,where it joins with mid-pipe/muffler (so as you don't have to use that

spacer/insulator,and you get better flow,because the header would be the same size as mid-pipe,you still have to use that stock spacer/insulator?