WR or YZ?

I'm looking at both a YZ 426 and a WR 400 tommorrow. Given they are in the same cond, what's your opinion?

well it depends on what type of rider you are and what type of riding you do.

^^^+1 we need some more infomation.. but if your mainly riding trails then the wr... but then agian a yz is a killer trail bike when a flywheel weight is added.. but you really cant go wrong with either

Had an 00 426 that only saw a track 4-5 times. Now have an 06 YZ 450F that still hasn't seen a track. I say go for the YZ, the WR's just don't float my boat. I didn't put a flywheel weight on either bike, I had the 00 geared down and haven't changed the 06 yet, but haven't spent much time on it. IMO it's much more trouble to YZ a WR than to make a YZ a good trail bike.

I have had a 2000 WR400, a 2003 WR450, 2004 YZ450, and a 2006 YZ450 in that order. After YZ'ing the 2003 WR I decided that I was done with that and changed up to the YZ. The 2000 WR was a great bike for the woods except for one thing....the seat. If you ride tight or nasty woods I'd say get the WR and switch to a YZ seat and fuel tank, I can't emphasize enough how much this will improve your ability to position yourself on the bike on nasty trails and hillclimbs. Make sure the exhaust cam is phased for YZ timing for more top end, and aside from not being able to handle big jumps as well, you'll have a much more versatile bike than the YZ426. I'm not knocking the YZ426, I'm just saying that it's hard get around that higher geared close ratio transmission.

... IMO it's much more trouble to YZ a WR than to make a YZ a good trail bike.

Bump! I went the other way on a red bike. To much to undo on it. Love my YZ.

Well, I have had both and I would go with the YZ hands down! The WR is like riding a mule it is so heavy!

I think the YZ is a better all around bike. The WR is a great trail bike and bad on the track. The YZ is great on the track and still a good trail bike.

I love my 2000 YZ426. It has never seen a track. I bought it brand new knowing that I'd be using it for trail riding. I liked the weight savings, seat height, and gear ratio on it more then the WR. I did however make some mods to make it a better trail bike which includes, steel sprocket, bark busters, summers fork seal savers, an oversized gas tank, auto-decompression intake and exhaust cams, and the all important spark arrester. My riding buddy rides a KTM EXC 450. I have no problem keeping up and we're pretty equal as riders. I have riden the WR's. I'd maybe like them more for easy trail riding.

I have a 2001 yz426f and do some pretty tight trail riding and get around quiet well so i would go with the yz426f:ride:

and do you run stock gears on that? I found my 426 to be a little too fast in first, and stalling easily if i dont ride the clutch in tight spots. but then again its certainly no kdx220 (last bike) :bonk:

Go with the 426. You can do every thing the WR can with it plus a whole lot more.

and do you run stock gears on that? I found my 426 to be a little too fast in first, and stalling easily if i dont ride the clutch in tight spots. but then again its certainly no kdx220 (last bike)

Yes i am riding stock gears and barley ever ride the clutch in tight areas.

I bought the YZ. We'll see how I like it this weekend, when I ride my YZ and my buddy's WR back to back. If nothing else, I'll be able to smoke him, cuz I'm 185 lbs on my YZ 426, and he's 220 on the WR 400!

I have a YZ400 that's plated. It's geared up for higher speed for dualsport rides. This makes first gear too tall for the tight stuff and 5th is still too low. I bought a used WR transmission for a swap.

YZ is lighter and more exciting to ride..

Anything else you need to know?

The older WR400 with a YZ seat and tank is better for trail riding.

The 426 is a sweet bike but could use lower gearing off the bottom for tight stuff. Had a freind who had the 426 and he did alright in the eastern type trails we ride but was always sucking hind tit. He went to a YZ450 and got worse even after putting a flywheel weight on. He got a KTM 300 xcw and dosn't get left behind by WR 250's now.

The older WR400 with a YZ seat and tank is better for trail riding.

The 426 is a sweet bike but could use lower gearing off the bottom for tight stuff. Had a freind who had the 426 and he did alright in the eastern type trails we ride but was always sucking hind tit. He went to a YZ450 and got worse even after putting a flywheel weight on. He got a KTM 300 xcw and dosn't get left behind by WR 250's now.

Since you have the YZ now, here's a suggestion- gear down slightly if you are running tight/steep stuff (I went with 13/52 on my 426 for out west riding). If you still find first a little tall (which it may be for you) install a WR first gear. You'd have to split the cases to do it, but I've heard it works well. The other option would be a flywheel weight.

The best option is a Rekluse!

After many searches, I haven't found anyone who swapped out just one gear from WR to YZ. If anyone has done it please let me know. From what I have found, the whole trans has to be swapped out because of the cogs being at different locations within the gear set not allowing them to mesh up properly. First gear would have to at least include a new primary shaft along with the first drive gear because the gear is part of the shaft.