HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
markturbo

For those who use a hydraulic brake light switch

12 posts in this topic

I just installed a K&S switch but it seems a little slow to come when I step on the brake. I'm pretty sure I didn't lose any brake fluid during the install, but I ran out of daylight so I guess I can try and bleed the brake tomorrow.

Just wondering if this is normal for this switch, or if it should activate the light at the slightest touch of the brake...which I think it should?

Thanks

I just installed a K&S switch but it seems a little slow to come when I step on the brake. I'm pretty sure I didn't lose any brake fluid during the install, but I ran out of daylight so I guess I can try and bleed the brake tomorrow.

Just wondering if this is normal for this switch, or if it should activate the light at the slightest touch of the brake...which I think it should?

Thanks

Have you tried riding the bike and stopping with the rear brake only? Does it take more effort/travel of the brake pedal to stop than before you put the switch in? If so, you will have to bleed the line as air was probably introduced when you took the banjo bolt out. Once done, the switch should activate sooner as soon as sufficient pressure builds up.

I haven't rode the bike again yet, although it did feel a little soft pushing on the brake. It probably does have air in the system from taking the banjo bolt off. I'll bleed it tomorrow and update.

Thanks

Yup, bleed em'. One good sized bubble (say, half the width of the line) is enough to make the brake almost useless.

I have the same switch. It comes on with very little pedal travel. Bleed that bad boy!

What a pain to bleed it! I eventually ended up unbolting the caliper and zip tying it up on the upper sub frame to get all the air out of it...but it worked, seems to be working better now.

Next project, installing a Bajadesigns keyed ignition I picked up today.:bonk:

i just bought the same switch for my 04 WR450 & im installing it along with my steel front line this weekend.Cant wait to get this SM finished & go for a ride.

where did you guys get the switch and what is it called exactly? I would like to install a brake light switch on my 06 wr 450.