HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
battle

04 YZ 450F Vibrates the crap out of hands

18 posts in this topic

dont know if this is common on the 2004 YZ 450F but the vibrations just numb my hands. I can only do about 5 laps full throttle really racing it hard and then i got to stop. Is there anything i can do or buy to help. Dont know if a set of pro taper bars will help or hand grips something ideas? Maybe i just need to build up some strength. haha! I rode my buddys 06 and it was wonderful i could ride it all day maybe its the pro tapers.:bonk::naughty::D

It should be fairly smooth (not like an '06, but not like a big two-stroke). Might be an idea to check the balancer timing if it's recently been apart.

Check your motor mounts and the swing arm bolt, too.

I used Pro taper

Thy have the urathane pads that come soft medium or hard.

this might help you it helped me alot

the stock bars are crap

i switched to a renthal twin wall and i love em

HANDLING PROBLEMS

Jarring => harsh ride in the handlebars on relatively small but sharp bumps

Decrease CD & RD so wheel comes up and goes down faster

Try a fork spring with a lower spring rate for a softer ride

Packing => harsh ride in handlebars on larger bumps

Increase CD in the forks to limit the compression

Decrease RD to help the wheel return more quickly

Try stiffer fork springs

Headshake => front wheel ocsillates side to side, especially in soft stuff

Move forks lower in triple clamps to increase rake and straight-line stability

Decrease RD in forks so wheel rolls over rather than ploughs into ground

Try stiffer front springs and softer rear spring to move center of gravity rearward

If its nothing mechanical, I think I smell some RG3 Clamps commin your way. They work great.

Yea i second that,they help a lot.

Also got renthal twin walls, and pro taper contours.

I like the pro tapers better,everyone one to their own opinion though.

I would stay away from the twin walls and go with a fat bar. Twin walls will make the vibration worse.

i think its in your forks

i had the same problem you just need to mess with the fork setings

i think its in your forks

i had the same problem you just need to mess with the fork setings

stiffen them up then more compression ?

I would stay away from the twin walls and go with a fat bar. Twin walls will make the vibration worse.

You are wrong. By having the twin walls it acts like a bar insert that also is for reducing vibration. Look for some bar inserts if you don't want to cash out for the twin walls. Also the twin walls are FAT. 1 1/8th. So you would need oversized mounts.

I used Pro taper

Thy have the urathane pads that come soft medium or hard.

gtx...did you notice a lot less vibration when you went to the ProTaper clamp? I'm trying to decide between those or an RG3 clamp.

so whats better twin bars or the pro tapers im six foot four what bends should i use. I like Reeds but Pastruma's bends are interesting too?

i would go with the expensive twin wall i think i have the cr bend im not sure but i think thats what it said on the box

so whats better twin bars or the pro tapers im six foot four what bends should i use. I like Reeds but Pastruma's bends are interesting too?

I use pastrana FMX bend pro taper fat bars,i think they vibrate less than the twin walls.(On my bike anyway).

My son uses them on his ktm ,and prefers the pastrana bend bars as well.

6'2 and 6'3 tall.

Anyway i still think the rg3 top clamp does more to get rid of vibration than either set of bars.

I would recommend three changes - adjust your fork suspension settings, less compression and more rebound dampening. Put on some Pro Taper bars. I changed from some standard 7/8" Renthals with the cross bar to a set of Pro Tapers and they are much more flexible, a hugh difference. And lastly put on some soft compound grips. They'll wear out faster, but they'll help with the vibration.

He said it's a vibration not a harsh fork. I'm with the guy that said check your balance shaft or engine mounts. If those are ok then maybe your crank is going bad.

Id like to thank everybody i purchased a set of Renthal Twin Walls with Moose clamps cant afford the RG3 clamps i hope that'll at least help my arms have been getting used to the armpump and vibrations so this switch should help me out alot. I checked the torque on the engine mounts and there all to speck...i just think the 04's vibrated alot more than the newer bikes.