HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YamahaYZ426F

2001 yz426f pinging sounds HELP!!!

6 posts in this topic

I have a 2001 yz426f and my engine is pinging u can hear it coming from the piston and i think it might be the type of gas i am using wich is 95 but not sure could some one give me advice on what it could be and how to fix it the bike runs really good even with it pinging

when i start it u can hear but when i am riding it u can;t really hear it unless u going slow and when u are idling the bike u can hear it

Use a hose or pipe/tube and put it up to the motor. Find out where the noise if coming from. Noise from the head can be you valve clearance, or cam caps damaged/over tight. Noise from the lower case is a bearings from your crank or trany.

when i start it u can hear but when i am riding it u can;t really hear it unless u going slow and when u are idling the bike u can hear it
That isn't pinging, it's just noise. A "ping", or "spark knock" from inadequate fuel octane, will happen only under a load, and almost always only at lower rpm.

YZF's are noisy engines when everything is right, but you could still have a problem. The first thing to do would be to compare it to another 426. After that, have it listened to by an experienced, trustworthy mechanic familiar with these engines. If it has an abnormal noise, isolating and identifying it is a job for a trained ear that can actually hear it happening.

Maybe you could also start spelling out "you" and throw in a couple of caps here and there. Since you probably aren't really lazy and stupid, there's no reason to give people the wrong impression. :bonk: