50 pilot jet?

i'm getting alot of popping on my 06 yz450f. the shop didn't have a 45 or 48 pilot jet, the only thing they had was a 50. does anyone run that? if yes, which main jet do you have in. thanks in advance.

Have you tried adjusting the Fuel Screw first?? Sometimes just turning it out (richening) will eliminate popping.

I wouldn't run larger than a 45, myself.

i'm getting alot of popping on my 06 yz450f. the shop didn't have a 45 or 48 pilot jet, the only thing they had was a 50. does anyone run that? if yes, which main jet do you have in. thanks in advance.

ZipTy recomends and uses a 48 on their 06 bikes with stock exhaust.

just for giggles, i put in the 50 with a 170 main. no worky. i'll run the 45 with a 165 or 170.

I wouldn't run larger than a 45, myself.

can you do damage wiht a 50? or just foul the plug.

can you do damage wiht a 50? or just foul the plug.

No, just a lot of bog in the throttle

sounds right. it stalled when i took off, then didn't start. how much do you adjust the fuel screw when you change your jets?

I wouldn't go any richer than a 45 either. I tried the 48, 170 combo because of advise given here and it just didn't work for me. In the winter I ran a 45 and 168. Now that it is warmer I am back to stock jetting but with the Zip - Ty carb mod and it is very crisp with very little popping. There is a sticky over on the jetting forum that describes how to set your fuel screw and choose the correct pilot jet.

ZipTy recomends and uses a 48 on their 06 bikes with stock exhaust.

JD also said to put it on clip 5 and it actually runs much better on clip 4...

If you want to know what it's like, turn out your fuel screw a turn or two. EXACT same thing as getting a larger pilot jet.

The pilot jet is just used as a coarse adjustment. The fuel scre as a fine adjustment. You should change pilot jets to get the turns out on the fuel screw 1-2.5 turns out...

i actually raised the needle one clip and was getting popping. i'll try a 45 and mess with the fuel screw.

The needle doesn't affect decel popping. It's caused by the idle being on the lean side, or an air leak in the exhaust. IMO, when a YZF is jetted right, it will pop on decel at least a little. To me, it's a sign that I'm too rich on the pilot when it won't at all.

thanks gray. i pulled off my pipe and resealed it the other day after riding. i'll go back to stock for now and of course get a new plug. hahaha.

well, i got my floatbowl out and discovered why my bike wasn't starting...the pilot jet was floating in gas. i've never had that happen. i tightened it, but it came loose.