please help figure out this wiring.. 88' 600r

i bought this bike from a friend and he said it had the street legal kit installed at one time but he never used it and just tore off the lights and such.

this wiring looks rigged to me and the color codes don't match what's in my factory book.

can ya'll tell me what i'm looking at?

or more importantly, tell me how to get spark back to the plug :bonk: ?

i just did a tear down of the motor/trans but for the life of me can't finger out this damn wiring.

cheers

here is the picture...

i bought this bike from a friend and he said it had the street legal kit installed at one time but he never used it and just tore off the lights and such.

this wiring looks rigged to me and the color codes don't match what's in my factory book.

i just did a tear down of the motor/trans but for the life of me can't finger out this damn wiring.

cheers

here is the picture...

Scott

This is one of the problems when custom wiring occurs. Now those wires are invariably power from the stator.

Does you engine start with those wires apart? Are these wires part of the dual sport kit?

On NA XRs you guys convert your XRs to road legal by running a 100% DC power system - Aussie XRs run 2 systems - AC (for head and tail light) and DC for blinkers etc

[/url]

It almost looks like a baja designs dual sport wiring kit ( well, a couple of parts from one), I think we can use there wiring diagram with the factory one to get the bike's lights working. These 3 links should do the trick and should be close to the wire colors involved.

As far as the no spark, make sure the exciter coil ( seperate from lighting coil) is connected to the CDI.

Universal wiring

Baja Designs old schematic

This may help too!

The two unplugged wires coming from your left engine case (stator) are the exciter coil and lighting coil leads. Black/red = exciter coil, blue = lighting coil. The black/red wire must be attached to its corresponding black/red mate from the main wire harness for the ignition to function. The blue wire is only for lighting and has no bearing on the ignition.

What you are referring to as a 4-wire relay in the photo I believe is actually an aftermarket rectifier/regulator.