HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mmbasa

1st Fork Rebuild

6 posts in this topic

Did my 1st oil change on my 07 450. Now I have my fingers crossed that its all back to normal. I used Motorex 2.5wt @ 350cc and I put the clickers back to 11c and 8r. But now I'm second guessing myself. I have it in my head that i did not tighten the locknut to the adjuster on one side. Not sure if I should open it up again and have a look. can I do this without losing the oil?

Did my 1st oil change on my 07 450. Now I have my fingers crossed that its all back to normal. I used Motorex 2.5wt @ 350cc and I put the clickers back to 11c and 8r. But now I'm second guessing myself. I have it in my head that i did not tighten the locknut to the adjuster on one side. Not sure if I should open it up again and have a look. can I do this without losing the oil?

I hate it when I do something like this.....it really bugs the crap out of me until I decide to redo the project....then I usually find out I did it right the first time.....

It kind of reminds me when your wife or girlfriend ask you to repeat something she told you or asked....and you can't remember the correct answer or only part of it.....because we weren't friggin listening 100%.....then you get the wrath of female hell for it.....:bonk:

I dont believe there is any way to do this without draining the oil and tightening that locknut up agian....its better to check it than have that rebound adjuster fall out when you ride...cause that may be a little more costly than half a quart of oil. If you just HAVE TO RIDE for the weekend and you cant get any oil, you can use Automatic Trans Fluid. It is the same thing as fork oil but doesnt have all the de-foaming properties. If you do this, ride on the atf as little as you can and get yourself a quart of oil.

The only oil lost would be that in the outer chamber. However, if you remove the fork in question and turn it upside down, you can unscrew the rebound adjuster, and then compress the fork enough to inspect and/or tighten the nut without loosing any oil.

The only oil lost would be that in the outer chamber. However, if you remove the fork in question and turn it upside down, you can unscrew the rebound adjuster, and then compress the fork enough to inspect and/or tighten the nut without loosing any oil.

Thats what I was thinking.

The procedure Grey mentioned works just fine. I did the same damn thing when I serviced mine.