HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dick757

Loss of Power in the R

13 posts in this topic

Well I had the head flowed

Put in a Stage 1

Uncorked completely

FMF head pipe

FMF Q2 Exhaust

The bike seems to be throaty on bottom end and just does not seem to have the pick up

Mid and top work like a charm and yank the arms off me

But is will only wheelie up to 3rd and have to clutch and pull hard in forth

Any help

Thanks

anyone

I have just seemed to have lost the bottom end that everyone talks about

Well, if you look at what you've done to the bike, its meant to flow large amounts of air, which doesn't always mean good for bottom-end power. Thats what I've always thought, at least.

You could try fooling around with the jetting to see if you can get anything else out of it, but its tough to tell.

Well, if you look at what you've done to the bike, its meant to flow large amounts of air, which doesn't always mean good for bottom-end power. Thats what I've always thought, at least.

You could try fooling around with the jetting to see if you can get anything else out of it, but its tough to tell.

I'd say to raise the needle, and go up on the main. Thats if it is jetting related.

Stock carb and all jets have been done

running a 175 main right now and the 68s, changed the needle and the intake boot, air box mods, UNI filter, drilled side plate and the cam, head flow and full exhaust

Could be that Q2 silencer?

at least with the xr400, most aftermarket headers move the torque curve way up over the stock. a guy on the 400 forum ran into this with his white brothers system. the stock header tends to give you the best low end torque

I would think that you probably need somewhere between a 180 and 185 main. Is your sparkplug all white? If so, then you are running lean.

Have a side-panel cut-out?

plug was nice and brown last time I checked

But that was before the header and pipe

gonna try it again tomorrow after a little ride

Side panels are drilled with the UNI vents put in

I run a 180 or 185 depending on how dirty i expect my air filter to get.....with my stage 1, header and T4 exhaust. No side pannel cut out. To get a true plug reading you need to start with a fresh plug and kill the motor as soon as you finish a test pass...cruising or idleing back to your garage will give you a false reading. Sounds like you are lean to me....with the 185 i got much more bottom grunt but harder starts. O and 4th will usually take some clutching to lift the front on pavement while sitting down...it should come right up if you are standing and leaning back.

Thanks

will try that tomorrow

I just always heard these beasts would pull up in forth for a joke

I will put in a new plug and giver a shot

Well I had the head flowed

Put in a Stage 1

Uncorked completely

FMF head pipe

FMF Q2 Exhaust

The bike seems to be throaty on bottom end and just does not seem to have the pick up

Mid and top work like a charm and yank the arms off me

But is will only wheelie up to 3rd and have to clutch and pull hard in forth

Any help

Thanks

Your post here says bottom is throaty. To me this means = bike has good low end grunt. But in next post you say you loss low end. Which is it ? Not trying to be smart ars, but only trying to clarify. maybe you didn't realize your wording ?

sorry

my bad

sounds like an old snowmobile with an open choke carb

finding it hard to find the word

the bike is all mid and top

1st and 2nd lots of pull on bottom

3rd soso

4th, hardly pull the tire up with out a huge yank on the bars