BRP Help!

My friend just bought an '04 xr650r. This was the first time I have ridden a 650r and I thought it did not have enough bottom end:thumbsdn: . My '87 xr600r had more torque before I tore it down to rebuild (burning oil, loss of compression). Also, after a short ride, it overheated and began stalling. My friend told me the fluid levels were good and that the only other owner had done no mods. Will the popular "uncorking" resolve these issues or are there other issues?

My friend just bought an '04 xr650r. This was the first time I have ridden a 650r and I thought it did not have enough bottom end:thumbsdn: . My '87 xr600r had more torque before I tore it down to rebuild (burning oil, loss of compression). Also, after a short ride, it overheated and began stalling. My friend told me the fluid levels were good and that the only other owner had done no mods. Will the popular "uncorking" resolve these issues or are there other issues?

Hmmm... I think we are all going to have more questions How many miles (hours) are on the motor? Is it stock with stock jetting? Has it been modified in any way?

If it's stock then yes, uncorking will make a huge difference. When you say short ride... was it a short SLOW ride? Was the bike close to idle with little air movement through the radiators? If you let a pig idle it will boil. They need to move to get air flow to cool them off.

I would uncork, re-jet carb, put on a 1.8 radiator cap and then try it again.

Assume the bike is stock with average or less hours for an '04. The short ride was less than an hour with a few high speed passes that would provide plenty of air for cooling. Hope this helps. Thanks for your help:thumbsup:

They're way lean stock for emissions purposes and have a rep for running hot as a result. Search 'Uncork' on this forum and check out The Pig Pen:

http://xr650r.us/