Tire replacement and chain maintenance

My first question is regards to chain maintenance. Is there a non-messy chain lube that I can use? Everything I've used up to this point is spray, and I'm not sure if it's good for the chain. It possibly can't be the best maintenance method. It drips everywhere and I have to clean everything up after.

My second question is about tire replacement. I've watched a video on it, where the guy is using a tool to set the tire on. It looks like a car rim, but hollow. Just rounded pipes. Are there tools like this available, or would going to a junk yard and picking up an old car rim and cleaning up suffice?

Any suggestions would be great.

I change tires on the garage floor only using the new tire under it for support. When mounting the new tire I use the old one for support. I know a lot of people use the upright wheel holders, but my method works for me.

I use WD-40 or whatever is handy for the chain. Rust is your enemy with chains, just keep something on it to keep it from rusting.

I drilled a hole in my 5" deep wood shop bench the same size dia. of the rear axle for rear tire changes. I add the spacers under the rim so the sprocket doesn't rub on the wood table. It works great! I've tried it on the floor and in a 30 gal. drum but the shop table works the best! Lots of dish wash soap though.

Belray Super Clean is a great non-grease chain lube. It sprays on white and doesn't drip, worst thing is a little run of it on the swingarm where I aim the spray.

I change my tires with three tire spoons, a bottle of Windex and do it over a 35 gal trash can.

All these ideas sound great. I don't know if I like the WD-40 idea on a chain though. One would think the WD-40 would really screw up an o-ring chain.

I'm going to try the 5 gallon bucket and garbage can deals to see how they work. I'll also definitely try the Belray chain stuff too.

I disagree with the use of WD-40 here as well, because it is not a very good lubricant OR a very good rust preventative. It's mostly solvents.

I use Maxima's "Synthetic Chain Guard". I spray it on the chain where it passes over the slider as I turn the rear wheel. If you give it at least 8 hours to totally dry out, it has a very low tack, and is nearly dry. Plus, it stays on well, gathers very little dirt, and washes away with simple green and a garden hose.

For tire removal/installation I've found Simple Green works great as a lube. The guy at the shop said WD-40 (for tire installation) works well, and he's right. But the problem is the mess afterwards. After I put on a new tire with Simple Green, I just rinse the tire off and it looks great and dirt does not stick. Also, it's biodegradable and works great to clean up your engine.

Jeff