HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
07XR650L

Gearing: XR650L

11 posts in this topic

What does everybody run for gears on their XRLs?

It seems to me that if any offroad riding is done, the bike needs to be geared down. I was following a Kawasaki 250 this weekend and in first gear through the technical stuff, I was practically running him over, I couldn't go slow enough.

I know this is a common question... but is there a happy medium that will give me somewhat lower gearing on the trails and enough high gear to still pass people on the road?

Any insight on what the stock chain will accommodate? I have dropped the front to a 14 tooth. I was thinking of adding teeth to the rear sprocket to gear it lower. I assume stock is 45 tooth. Will the stock chain take a 46 or 48 with a 14 front?

It will probably accomadate the 46 tooth rear, or even a 47 however I doubt seriously it will do 48 as denn10 states Two teeth equals about an inch and a half +/- of chain, or two links. You would have to move the rear wheel forward approximately 3/4" to accomadate a 48 tooth rear sprocket, unless your chain is already stretched to the point its wore out I doubt you have this much adjustment. You can get an RK xring chain, and JT steel sprockets in any gearing combination you want off ebay from seller DIRTPARTS for $90.

14/48 stock chain is fine- only a little wear on my chain, and its fits. I did have a 13 front before, so it might be a skosh tight with a brand-new chain.

Dave

THANKS DAVE for backin me up there NICE TRY though REBEL

YES 3 rear is like 1 in front

i just put the 14/48 0n mine also bought a new chain to match. bike is apart now so cant tell you haw it is yet.