Looking into getting a 2005 WR450 any suggestions?

i use to have wr450 and it was a great bike. It had many race miles on it and still held up well. The only problem was something with the electric starter and no one could figure it out, yamaha even had a person sent out to my local dealer and the problem still wasent figured out. But that issue was the only one and did not come up untill the bike was pretty tired from a lot of races, but all in all a great bike. Hope this helps

The 05 and newer are great bikes.....My 05 has 5000 miles (almost all desert racing) valves are still in spec, e-start works like a dream, and will kick start anytime...:bonk:

Change oil and air filter often:prof:

i have my 05 since oct 06. the big issues i see are the dam e-start is garbage. look around the starters go out all the time and make noise. the good news is i kick start it and no problems. the seat gives you a bit of monkey butt if you sit for too long.

the parts on it are all quality. i would break down the carb and clean it and do all the mods, ais, jd jet kit, pipe, and grey wire. dont forget a BIG skid plate and if you like your frame to be free of rust get frame gaurds. i suggest also some fat bars and hand gaurds. get extra levers unless you go with the avs ones. btw you can get avs levers for 40 a peice in blue. just go on ebay to the avs outlet store.

btw they are fast as hell. i still cant believe the power after 1000 miles on mine and i bought it 5 months ago.

My e-start has been perfect on my '05 since day one. I think the starter problems people are having are few and far between, though bad news travels fast. A lot of 'em I've seen have been battery related and were solved once that was addressed. As for me, when mine is not going anywhere for a while, it's on a battery tender. Other than that, the '05 is great...SC

My e-start has been perfect on my '05 since day one. I think the starter problems people are having are few and far between, though bad news travels fast. A lot of 'em I've seen have been battery related and were solved once that was addressed. As for me, when mine is not going anywhere for a while, it's on a battery tender. Other than that, the '05 is great...SC

that is super cool you have a good one. it seems as tho the thrust bushings take a poop. do a sear on here about "what does this sound like?" the guy recorded the noise his starter made. its exactly like mine and a few other guys posted up with the same issue.

so i would say if you find one you like and you want e-start test that thing out before you buy it.

Same here. My only e-start problems have been battery or jetting related.

Same here, Never had an e-start problem at all. Suggest that you don't continue to use it if it won't start right up because you probably have a different problem and you'll likely want to blame it on the e-start. My bike came without a pilot screw and took me a while to figure it out. However I did kick start it when cold and probably saved my starter from big time ware and tear. Did the mods and put in a screw and now I can hardly hit the button without starting. Old guys love that button!! "I just want to ride".

Got my barley used '05 in mint condition in early Jan '06 still have it, don't think i'd trade it for any other bike, owned most. I ride both desert and single track. It's great!

Do all the free mods and jetting, it really comes alive.....yahoo!!!

No matter how clean the bike looks check the rear suspension linkage. This is a VERY negelected but vital part of the bike.

Yamaha and Honda are well known for using an absolute MINIMUM amount of grease during assembly.

Mine is a 2005 WR450F with 6,000km and the attached photo speaks for itself!

I rode approx 500km before I took the rear suspension apart. The improvement feels dramatic.

IMG_7188.jpg

I am looking at getting a mint 2005 WR450. What are the ups and downs of that year? I have always been a Honda owner so I dont know much about the Yamahas. Any advice is appreciated! :bonk:

a very good overall choice ...

do you have any idea of the bikes history ?

what was the Honda that you owned ? - XR, CR, CRF ...

do you have another option - brand/model ? (not that you need one !!)

..the only reason i would consider getting rid of mine would be to get an '07 model

cheers

I just rode mine yesterday for the first time this year. Did the old tip the bike on it's side till gas runs out trick and it fired right up. Original battery too. Get a battery tender and use Neutra gas treatment. It ran great with last falls fuel. I really like this bike, it makes me look a lot better than I really am. You'll like it too I'm sure.