Stage 1 or 2?

I agree with hill5150 but, most of what seems like low end loss is compared to what you gain in mid and top end. If you look at dyno charts you are about the same at lower rpms to about 4k but, from there on you have larger gains and the responce is a little slower at the bottom as you biuld vacuum so, in the end it seems that you have less low rpm horsepower but, in reality you can climb the same hill with the same amount of power in the same rpm range.....but, you won't because you will be flatout flying up that hill!

What kind of bike do you have Steed2???? I am going to guess that since I have not seen, or heard of, a Stage 2 for an XR600R that you have the XR650R????

Does a stage 1 for an XR600R help build low end, mid range, or top end????

I have a stage 1 cam with stock header and Yoshimura exhaust on my XR650R. My bike has great idle to high-midrange grunt, but the top end still seems the same. The bike is still great on trails and I can bog the motor then roll on the throttle to wheelie up over obstacles.

Keep in mind that you have to tune the system as a whole, not just drop in a part and expect it to perform. If you go with a High RPM range cam, then you need a header with large primary diameter pipes from the cylinder and free flowing exhaust to efficiently evacuate exhaust from the motor. Using a stock header with a stage 2 cam will not yield the full potential. Also it would be recommended to use a cut-out side panel to breathe better on the intake side.

As far as cams go, here is what I have heard from a few different people:

Hotcams Stage 1 = Least Aggressive, Noticable Improvement to Midrange

HRC Cam = Middle of the Road Aggressive, Midrange and a little bit of top-end

Hotcams Stage 2 = Most aggressive, midrange to high RPM inprovements, small loss on low end.

If you go really extreme, 680 kit, stage 2 cam, high compression, you need to make sure to have the biggest header/exhaust (like Big Gun or Moriwaki), side pane cut-out, bored out carb (1-1.5MM overbore), altered backfire screen behind the air filter, high flow air filter, HRC needle/needle jet, and pilot/main rejetting.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Keep in mind that you have to tune the system as a whole, not just drop in a part and expect it to perform. If you go with a High RPM range cam, then you need a header with large primary diameter pipes from the cylinder and free flowing exhaust to efficiently evacuate exhaust from the motor. Using a stock header with a stage 2 cam will not yield the full potential. Also it would be recommended to use a cut-out side panel to breathe better on the intake side.

what kind of exhaust/header would you suggest to get with the stage 2?