Kick starter sticking

My friend has had an 06' now for about 4-5 months and very low in the hrs. Three times now he has gone to start it and the kick starter would not push down. He put it in gear rolled it back and forth a couple times to free the kicker which it did, then it wouldn't start for quite a few kicks after that. Could it be the compression holding the kicker back, possibly not auto decompressing or could it be something else like the piston etc..? Any sugestions would be great.

Does this normally happen after a stall? Sometimes when the engine stalls your auto decomp pin will stick inside the cam not allowing the decompression so the hard spot you feel is the compression stroke. The fix is to put the bike in gear and roll it back slightly to free the pin in the cam. The real fix is not to stall, but it sometimes can't be avoided. A real pain in the butt I know, but it is an easy fix and doesn't really hurt anything to my knowledge. Hope this helps.

Josh

Does this normally happen after a stall? Sometimes when the engine stalls your auto decomp pin will stick inside the cam not allowing the decompression so the hard spot you feel is the compression stroke. The fix is to put the bike in gear and roll it back slightly to free the pin in the cam. The real fix is not to stall, but it sometimes can't be avoided. A real pain in the butt I know, but it is an easy fix and doesn't really hurt anything to my knowledge. Hope this helps.

Josh

Yep, it's pretty typical like that. To get out of this situation when it comes up, pop the bike in gear and pull it back a little. That rolls the cam back off of the lifter and lets the pin extend so that it acts normal.

We actually had a similar situation on an 07 YFZ450 this weekend where it stalled and the starter could not turn the engine over very well. It turned over several times without the pin releasing, but I put it in 5th gear and rolled it back and forth, it rolled through the compression one time and then it was fine. Go figure??