will SM pipe fit the DRZ 400 E?

gang

I need to replace the can on my E model, just for cosmetic reasons. will the SM and S rear stage fit the E model? put another way, do they all have same exhaust system, stock, or different?

thx

z

No, not the same. The E header is larger. You can 'make it fit' if you must. The internals and flow characteristics are the same, however. Also, the mount at the foot peg area is different. A S/SM one afftaches to the passsenger footpeg bracket where as your E attaches to the bolt holes the foot peg bracket would be.

To make it fit with little work, you will have to fabricate your own 'gasket'. One thing you may be able to do (I am going to try to do this myself) is take the S muffler to an exhaust place and have them expand the connection to enable use of the stock E gasket.

I finally got curious enough yesterday to find out if an SM muffler could actually fit onto an E head pipe on my SM bike...

...so I did it.:bonk:

I removed 3/4 inch off the end of the head pipe with a rotary pipe cutter, used a rolled up strip of thin copper sheet as a gasket, and put the pipe on.

It took some jiggling around, but it fits on all of the original mounting points, and the gasket made a good tight seal.

The only unresolved issue is the pipe mounting holes don't line up with the holes in the heat shield, but I think that by slightly elongating the holes, I can get it to fit.

The short E muffler still fits the slightly shorter headpipe just fine with no leakage at the joint, so removing that little section of tubing made no difference.

The E and SM mufflers are identical inside, and flow exactly the same amount of exhaust.

The only differences are where the muffler attaches to the head pipe, and the location of the mid mount point.

Greg

Greg, since you have done so much messing about with stock pipes, confirm for me if you can. If A complete E system was installed on a S/SM, does the midpipe mount line up with the passenger footpeg bracket hole?

I have a bunch of pipes now, two complete S/SM systems and one complete E sytem.

I was going to modify a S muffler by expanding the joint, cut down the E header to fit, reweld the heatshield brackets. Or... Use a complete E system, move and reweld the midpipe mount. But I am thinking if... I can simply bore out the threaded hole in my SM sub frame and pass a properly sized bolt through to connect to the complete E system, I might do that.

Your thoughts?

Hey William, :naughty:

A full E system on an SM puts the mid mounting hole just aft of the rear footpeg mounting hole. Sorry, I don't have a closer picture. The other pipe is already on the bike now.

If you look at the red spring you can see the hex bolt that pins the mid mounting point onto the rear footpeg bracket. I've rode over 1,000 miles with the pipe mounted like that, and it has never loosened up or slipped off...

drz400088.jpg

This is the SM muffler mounted onto the E head pipe...

IMG_0177.jpg

Here's how the connection looks where the SM muffler attaches to the E head pipe. You can't tell they aren't stock matching parts. I still need to resolve the issue of the heatshield mounts...

IMG_0178.jpg

...and had to reinstall the rear footpeg mount to provide a mounting point for the SM muffler. I think I'll make a simple aluminium bracket, so I can take off the footpeg bracket.

IMG_0179.jpg

The bike sounds really mellow and deep. :bonk:

Take Care,

Greg

Greg, thaks for the pictures and the benefit of your experience. I think I'll be using a S muffler, E header, and simply shorten the E header, Expand the S muffler joint to E size and move the heat shield mounts. Will not be done for a few months as I have several other projects in the works. Still looking for good quality Stainless Steel bungs and a source for Ti ones. Arghhh!

You're welcome, :naughty:

It's been a lot of fun following my interest and exerimenting with the various exhaust options. But I've ended up with a very narrow range of expertise. :bonk:

I'm not too sure that that the S joint will take much expanding, but you probably know more about metals than I do. A simple thin wrapped sheet copper gasket seals really well, and if you notice in the joint picture... the diameter of the E headpipe and SM muffler tubing is exactly the same for a nice clean undisturbed flow.

There is one problem with a super quiet free flowing exhaust like this...

I ride a LOT faster when there isn't hardly any exhaust noise... it's like flying a stealth fighter. :bonk:

The bike performs really well... I'm now doing mileage testing to see if there is any improvement in efficiency.

An S/SM muffler with an E headpipe works just fine...

...especially when you consider that S/SM exhausts are really common and dirt cheap! :D

Take Care,

Greg

I finally got curious enough yesterday to find out if an SM muffler could actually fit onto an E head pipe on my SM bike...

...so I did it.:bonk:

I removed 3/4 inch off the end of the head pipe with a rotary pipe cutter, used a rolled up strip of thin copper sheet as a gasket, and put the pipe on.

It took some jiggling around, but it fits on all of the original mounting points, and the gasket made a good tight seal.

The only unresolved issue is the pipe mounting holes don't line up with the holes in the heat shield, but I think that by slightly elongating the holes, I can get it to fit.

Greg[/Quote]

I had the same question about the heat shield a while back. It was pointed out to me the ring on the end of the s header fit inside the s muffler where the clamp is. If you look at the pictures above you will see the ring on the e header butts up against the s muffler where the clamp fits. I haven't done it yet but I plan to trim off a little of the part where the clamp fits to make the heat shield fit.

Hi 05xt225 greg,

Like you I cut down the e header thinking that would make it fit. When the heat shield still wouldn't line up I looked closer and found the remaining lenghth of head pipe should have easily let the pipe go in to the s muffler far enough. It was only when I was told about the ring at the end of the header needing to go into the s muffler instead of butt up against it did I realize I needed to do something about that problem.

• 13 years later...
24 minutes ago, Dirtbikedad86 said:

Does anybody happen to know what millimeter the stock exhaust pipe is on the 2001 DRZ 400e? ?i bought a universal muffler off eBay it’s on its way.

Take your pipes down to a local muffler shop and have them expand the SM muffler inlet to fit the E pipe or the original inlet of whatever muffler system you had on there.

Edited by bumtarder

Not relevant to the latest direction but we might as well add this information to the thread as well 

The mix -n-match of parts is covered above. What about full systems?

If you use an E model exhaust system on a S/SM or have a S subframe, the mid pipe will bolt up. Instead of lining up with the center hole meant for the S/SM exhaust, it will line up with the right side mounting hole for the passenger peg mount.  The issue is this hole is also threaded, so it's a bit of a pain in the ass to get the bolt through 2 threaded holes. This is exactly the setup I used for years with the Yosh RS3 system. Eventually, it ended up stripping the peg mount hole. This wasn't an issue when the E system was used as it created a solid mounting point for the bracket.  When I installed the correct make MRD system, all I had to do was helicoil the damaged mount. My local Stihl authorized hardware store loaned me the kit and charged me a whopping $.50 for the helicoil.

A S/SM exhaust on a E subframe has nothing to mount to. A bracket would have to be fabricated if you wish to utilize the mid pipe mount.

The Barker system fits either since it does not use mid point mounting. For most pipes, you don't really need to use the mount. The MRD SSW ( Z Pro) is a different story. Since the the mid pipe diameter is so much larger, it will rub on the shock spring creating an annoying squeak if it isn't pulled over by the mid mount. Due to tolerance stack ups, some, myself included, actually have to place a washer between the right side subframe arm and main frame to "shim" the exhaust over slightly to clear the spring.

Edited by ohiodrz400sm

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508508"]

Sort of the opposite, a E header with a M/S muffler (to use the OEM S/SM mid  mount). To do simialar with a E, you can buy a foot peg eliminator bracket for a S/SM and put it on your E.

When Mounting a Yosh Ti or the MRD, you can shim out the sub frame (see the custom spacer in the below image, about four~five washers thick) which in turn, pulls the pipe away from the shock.

HeadstersShim.jpg.0f81736e52a5046fbe10e14869ed88ad.jpg

• Like 1