Radiator Overflow Can Question.....

Do you really need it on the 650R? I've noticed several race bikes don't run it. I took mine off and I just have the overflow hose hanging from the bottom of the skidplate and I see quite a bit of leaking when the bike is parked and running. Should I put it back on or is it a waste of space?

It's not a 'catch-can' overflow tank, it's a recovery tank. When your radiator overheats, it fills up that bottle, then the radiator sucks the coolant back in as it cools down. If you remove it, you're losing coolant when it overheats.

Do you really need it on the 650R? I've noticed several race bikes don't run it. I took mine off and I just have the overflow hose hanging from the bottom of the skidplate and I see quite a bit of leaking when the bike is parked and running. Should I put it back on or is it a waste of space?

Use a 1.8 Radiator cap, leave off the recovery tank and you're good to go. Also, I took out the thermostat... I use the bike in warm to hot conditions so for me no need.

How much weight is saved here? How diffficult is this task???? I have the 1.8 and agree don't seem to have any blow offs anymore at least not for a while. I suppose just check it every ride.

You probably added the weight of the resevoir tank with additional stickers anyway. Notice there are no radiator shroud, side cover and tank stickers on my bike in my avatar? I left the ESP fork sticker on the bike. Just messing with you. :bonk:

What about the weight of aftermarket guards for hands, skid plate, brakes, and fork tubes.

If you boil over, you need the tank to catch the coolant so it goes back in the radiator when the bike cools back down. This happens when you do a bunch of hill-climbs in warm/hot weather.

big-bear1.jpg

How much weight is saved here? How diffficult is this task???? I have the 1.8 and agree don't seem to have any blow offs anymore at least not for a while. I suppose just check it every ride.

Yeah... what Billahjack said. The tanks weigh almost nothing so taking them off isn't to save weight. Taking them off is easy... drop the skid plate and I think there is only one screw holding the tank on. Should take no more than one cup of coffee or a beer. I seldom check my coolant and since using the 1.8 I have not had to add any coolant. Never a bad idea to check everything every ride though!!!

It's not a 'catch-can' overflow tank, it's a recovery tank. When your radiator overheats, it fills up that bottle, then the radiator sucks the coolant back in as it cools down. If you remove it, you're losing coolant when it overheats.

exactly, when you overheat and dont have your recovery tank you will be losing coolant. Depending on how bad you overheat you could feasibly loose all or most of your coolant. I wouldnt cap it off either, the coolant needs a place to go when it gets hot (insert basic chemistry/physics class here), if you cap it off and you overheat I can almost garuntee that the resulting pressure will blow off anything you have used to plug the hose with. This is why radiator caps are designed to withstand high pressure. A radiator needs a recovery tank, I would not suggest taking it off. Just my .02, but its your bike if you think ditching a 1/2 pound piece of plastic will actually do you some good and dont care about messing with something that keeps your bike from turning into a large fused hunk of metal then by all means take it off.

You probably added the weight of the resevoir tank with additional stickers anyway. Notice there are no radiator shroud, side cover and tank stickers on my bike in my avatar? I left the ESP fork sticker on the bike. Just messing with you. :bonk:

What about the weight of aftermarket guards for hands, skid plate, brakes, and fork tubes.

If you boil over, you need the tank to catch the coolant so it goes back in the radiator when the bike cools back down. This happens when you do a bunch of hill-climbs in warm/hot weather.

big-bear1.jpg

Hey what tires are you running? they look like they can do pretty good on pavement (especially the front)

Hey what tires are you running? they look like they can do pretty good on pavement (especially the front)

Dunlop D606 DOT legal front, Dunlop 756 (or something like that) rear. The front lasted forever with OK grip on dirt, excellent on road. Switched to 752 front, Maxis Maxcross IT rear. Seems like similar front traction, slightly less rear but the rear should last about 3 times longer.