Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rdsrf

XR650L Battery Swap?

8 posts in this topic

Has anybody out there tried to swap the stock size battery for a smaller (lighter) gel unit?

Welcome to TT, No havent had to think about a new battery yet but do not see why you could not, as long as you have the same, or better cold cranking amps and reserve minutes capacity. Seeems like a good way to loose a little weight up high on the bike. you would probably have to fabricate a mount for it if there is much of a size difference. I have found the marine type polymers good for this sort of thing, like starboard which is readily available at about all marine supply stores. If you do it let us know how it works out for you!

Has anybody out there tried to swap the stock size battery for a smaller (lighter) gel unit?

Yeah try a genuine OEM Yuasa CRF450X battery under the seat. It's what I used on my 628 high comp motor.

IMG_4142.jpg

Wow! That CRF 450X battery looks like a great swap....Thanks for the photo and the info. Is the 628 high compression motor a destroked 650?

The 450X battery is a great light high output unit. However, it does not have the same amp-hour capacity. You will need to be careful not to run the battery down too much.

As far as weight savings mods go this is by far the best that you can do.

The 450X battery is a great light high output unit. However, it does not have the same amp-hour capacity. You will need to be careful not to run the battery down too much.

As far as weight savings mods go this is by far the best that you can do.

This is very true and to be fair to the 650L guys I clearly have kickstart backup. Honda in their wisdom decided to remove the kickstart option on the 650L.

I certainly have not ever had my 628 fail to ignite. But I dont sit their cranking.

The other big diff is the dual power circuit I run - I had 100watts specially devoted to charging duties as I wanted to prevent any battery flat outs.

Recall my bike is an XR600 not 650L.

Stock Australian model 600s come with dual power circuits.

Thus on my 600 head and tail light are powered off the bike, while starting and indicators etc are powered off the DC system

650L come with only a DC system, no AC. Thus not possible with a 650L.