Raced CRF450 with XR600

I drag raced my buddies 05 CRF450 on my 00 XR600, and as i suspected he just left me like i was standing still, but probably if we raced for like a mile i would have caught him on the top end rather easily. I was actually able to keep up with him on my YZ250 though, and actually beat him a couple times, which suprised me, and made me happy since my bike was way cheaper than his bike

I have an 04 450 and a 00 628 HRC and agree with you

The 450 is brutal on acceleration which is good and bad.

good - makes you feel like a king for 20 minutes

bad - becuase it tires you out over 8 hours!!!

I rode a 450 also , for short try. agree the power felt awsome but at same time wasn't as predictable. being not used to it, seemed to wear me out also. But on a little track loop, I was able to keep up with the dude who is used to it. I'm happy with my tractor!

I rode a 2007 CRF450X last weekend. The power and suspension were really nice but is seemed geared really short. I felt bad wringing the engine to 10,000rpm just to go 60.

Last year I rode a 4-speed KX450F. What a joke. It was light and had more power than my 600 but going 50mph was not an option, especially if I wanted to go 50 for more than a few seconds.

I wonder how the 600 would fare against a new MX bike is gearing was equal?

"O"

well heres one for ya then .....i have a 2004 xr650r and my friend rides a 2006 crf450r. Now both bikes are STOCK!!!!! The xr and crf are exactly the same speed to 94-95 mph then i can very slowly pull ahead....and remember thats stock gearing on a motocross bike....lol. For whoever doesnt beleive that a crf will go 94mph just go ask the guys in the crf450 forum.. its true i couldnt beleive it. my xr is uncorked

I have a 01 XR650R, and a 05 crf 450x. The pig is uncorked with a big gun full system and k&N filter. The crf has lighter springs, intake mods, and a slip on WBros pipe. Both bikes make great power, and both handle good at speeds. The pig does better on rough but wide open areas, and the crf is better for tighter, not so open areas. I don't think the crf will hit 90 with stock gearing, and the pig will! I ended up turning the pig into a awsome supermoto, and was able to pull 119mph on the street with 15/40 gears. I never ran the two against each other on the dirt, but I think the two would hang pretty close. I did run both against a KX450F, and had no trouble outrunning him and his 4 speed gearbox.

well heres one for ya then .....i have a 2004 xr650r and my friend rides a 2006 crf450r. Now both bikes are STOCK!!!!! The xr and crf are exactly the same speed to 94-95 mph then i can very slowly pull ahead....and remember thats stock gearing on a motocross bike....lol. For whoever doesnt beleive that a crf will go 94mph just go ask the guys in the crf450 forum.. its true i couldnt beleive it. my xr is uncorked

Mate 94mph is almost 150km/hr stock.

There is no way on this earth a CRF450R does that with 13/48 gearing(stock)

Whoever tells you a CRf450R will do 150km/hr stock is on crack

Yeah i have to agree, there is no way in the world my friends bike would do 94MPH. Maybe 85 maybe

I had an '86 XR600 with a head I ported, and a White Bros cam. It would stay head to head with a later model CR250 from a dead stop. Pissed the guy off, royally. Later that season he ran the rod right out of it, trying to keep it pinned on a railroad grade with us. Motocross gearing for 90+mph?

I like to see that. Anybody know what sort of gearing they run for Baja?

Mate 94mph is almost 150km/hr stock.

There is no way on this earth a CRF450R does that with 13/48 gearing(stock)

Whoever tells you a CRf450R will do 150km/hr stock is on crack

Haha you guys are fools.....or at least are going to feel like fools

....go ask anyone in the crf450r forum ....{who actallyOWNS one ...not "my buddies") and they will tell you that a stock crf450r tapped out will do 150klm/h ...i witnessed it with my own eyes.....lol not anything on this bike has been changed...NOTHING

Haha you guys are fools.....or at least are going to feel like fools

....go ask anyone in the crf450r forum ....{who actallyOWNS one ...not "my buddies") and they will tell you that a stock crf450r tapped out will do 150klm/h ...i witnessed it with my own eyes.....lol not anything on this bike has been changed...NOTHING

I ride with guys with 450Xs (taller gearing than CRF450R) and they go about 85. I'm geared to 90 or 95.

Here's a link to a CRF450X test from a magazine which proves it.

Link to motorsports-network.com

Once the fast reving engine hits the mid-range the front wheel leaps to the sky and the bike accelerates quickly, very quickly. The engine continues to pull nicely into a strong top-end as well. Off-road racers will love the 450X for powering out of corners against the competition. This off-road legal bike (there is a green sticker version with only an added air pump for California) doesn't run as strong as the closed-course CRF450R, but it does begin to feel a bit like the R in open terrain. We ran the 5-speed CRF450X on a soft gravel road to get a real world top speed reading of 82mph. In addition to learning the top speed, we learned the X gets there awfully quick.

The 450X is faster than the CRF-R because it is geared taller.

Why on Earth would a motocross bike need to go 100mph?

"O"

I have a 450x, and it's NOT stock. I have stock gearing with white bros pipe, intake mods, and carb mods. I outran every motocross bike with stock gearing I have ever raced, and my bike runs 83mph on GPS. The 450r has the power to pull the 100mph speeds, with a big gearing change! Someone needs a speedo calibration!:bonk:

and really ... unless your running in Baja with high expectations of being at least in the top ten, who needs that kind of speed or will ever really use it. Nice to know that kind of power is on tap - but that is about it. An everyday rider will never use the crazy power the new bikes make.

Like the XR650L lotsa grunt, top end etc, but th thrill is just rolling through the gears with a good amount of go fast rolled on, just makes ya smile.

I have raced 650r vrs 450s supermoto 2nd to 5th gear staightaway and neither has an advantage. xr is great but just isn't as agile in slower corners. fifty hp with 50 torque and 300 lbs vrs 50 hp and 40 torque and 245 pounds

I raced my WR450 with a pipe ect. in the Parker 250 this year. I was pegging in 5th around 95, coulda gone faster with more gearing. and I'm not a pro by anymeans, but the only reason I finished 15 minutes before my buddy travis in the 180 mile ironman class was because I pinned it on the fire roads, and he cruised at a bit slower speed.

He said it hurt like a mofo when I ripped passed him, and I believe it because I was showing 94, and had a facotry 650R blow pass me going well over 100. I about cried.

So some of us do use that kind of speed without being baja top 10 riders. BTW first offroad race, and I got 22 of 37 in ironman amateaurs. #070

results

yeah but a "WR" has as wide ratio tranny. A Crf 450 is a motocross bike and there is no way it does 94 stock

yeah but a "WR" has as wide ratio tranny. A Crf 450 is a motocross bike and there is no way it does 94 stock

most of these guys are talking about the CRF450X not the R. not sure if they adjusted the tranny on the honda's too

most of these guys are talking about the CRF450X not the R. not sure if they adjusted the tranny on the honda's too

The X has a wide ratio tranny, and stock a lot less hp than the R. With a few mods, they will come pretty close to the same power. The point is that the 450R wasn't designed for top speed, and stock gearing won't pust 94mph. The 450X was built for top speed, and with stock gearing, it won't do 94mph! The XR650R will do 90 plus with stock gearing if it's uncorked.

sorry guys but your all wrong for many reasons....

1. A crf450x is a stuffed up trail bike and will never touch a 450r in any range

2. The recent test done by motocross action comparing all 450's stated "Check out the top speed on the honda and the {i forget the other bike} this is why so many desert racers prefer these bikes" that was right from the magazine and at the bottom of the page it showed a graph for all 450 STOCK top speeds the honda was 92 MPH according to them. now i know im out by 2 mph but this thing was bouncing off the rev limiter and my car "2006 cadillac cts" registered 150KL/h

3.this may help with assuring you and remeber the 06 was the fastest honda 450r so far ...the 03,04,05 could only register 86mph4 and last but not least i wouldnt lie about this its not even my bike....the reason this all came up is because my 650r could barely pull away ......amd the crf is running 13/48 gearing i just checked to be sure.....

I know you probably still wont beleive me and if not just forget about it anyways ....this is childish

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489288

sorry guys but your all wrong for many reasons....

CRF450X:

Primary Reduction 2.739 (63/23)

Gear Ratios 1 1.800 (27/15)

2 1.470 (25/17)

3 1.235 (21/17)

4 1.050 (21/20)

5 0.909 (20/22)

Final Reduction 3.923 (51/13)

CRF450R (2006):

Primary Reduction - 2.739 (63/23)

Gear Ratios - 1; 1.800 (27/15), 2; 1.470 (25/17), 3; 1.235 (21/17), 4; 1.050 (21/20), 5; 0.909 (20/22)

Final Reduction - 3.692 (48/13)

What do the magazines say?

Eatmydirt.com (Australia)

A five speed transmission will see you with a top speed over just under 130k'S (about 80mph). My personal thoughts are they would benefit from a 6th transport gear but keeping in mind the competition pedigree the jury is still out on this one.

motorsports-network.com

Once the fast reving engine hits the mid-range the front wheel leaps to the sky and the bike accelerates quickly, very quickly. The engine continues to pull nicely into a strong top-end as well. Off-road racers will love the 450X for powering out of corners against the competition. This off-road legal bike (there is a green sticker version with only an added air pump for California) doesn't run as strong as the closed-course CRF450R, but it does begin to feel a bit like the R in open terrain. We ran the 5-speed CRF450X on a soft gravel road to get a real world top speed reading of 82mph. In addition to learning the top speed, we learned the X gets there awfully quick.

Maybe the magazines are involved in a top-speed coverup to discredit internet posters?

"O"