HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TyeeHusky

New 07 WR450 spark plug question

8 posts in this topic

Ok, I have to admit that 30 years of 2 stroke riding and a switch to 4 strokes has left me a complete idiot!!!!

I took the seat and tank off to get to the spark plug. Only problem, it does not look like a two stroke plug cap. How do you get the cap off the plug? It looks like it has a plug in on the cap and a rubber cover that goes all the way to the cyclinder head. Manual sucks and does not even mention how to pull it.

Just pull the cover off?????

Thanks

If you have a compressor you can blow a "SMALL" shot of air into the hole on the right side of the head to pop it out. It will pull up and out if you do it carefully and then you use the spark plug tool you got with the bike. By the way DO NOT LOSE that plug wrench and have it with you at all times when riding. It's about the only thing that will fit if you water your bike out and need to get the plug out.:applause: WR Dave.

Because my buddie submerged his crf-x last week in a water crossing, I decided to take the tank off and practice getting at the spark plug on my '07 WR450. I can pop the plug cover up but there is no room to manuever the plug cover up and out of there to get at the plug with the plug wrench. Does any one have any tips? By the way this bike is awesome! But a PITA to work on for a moderately mechanically inclined person.

I had to pull mine to attach the hour meter. I thought the cap/coil came out no problem with the tank off and the top engine mounts removed. Hope this helps, GL

You may have to work it a bit the first time out- rubber cap is pretty sticky!

I spayed a bit of silicone on the boot for re-install. It now pops out much nicer. This trick works on the carb boot as well.

Lynn

Ya I was thinking there might be a way to do it w/o taking the frame braces off for on the trail fixes instead of a complete tear down on the trail!:applause: I

It will come off without removing the braces. First disconnect the wire from it. Pop it loose. Turn it 180 degrees so the connector is away from the frame then bend it slightly while you are pulling it out of the hole.

It will come off without removing the braces. First disconnect the wire from it. Pop it loose. Turn it 180 degrees so the connector is away from the frame then bend it slightly while you are pulling it out of the hole.

What he said - had the same problem last night. Bike is a real PITA compared to my old YZ :thumbsup: Once I've gotten all that AIS nonesense off the bike, should free up some more space. I'm not looking forward to getting my jetting dialed in properly, as getting to the carb seems like a complete nightmare.