HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2WheelTad

XR650R or the XR650L????

15 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I'm looking to buy a XR for some short trips and trail riding. I'm looking for something that's street legal (or make it so) and can with-stand some miles on the road. (maybe to some State Parks...etc.) I really like the R for all the known reasons but I've been told that high miles might require LOTS of up-keep??? Anyone have any thoughts?? Thanks guys! :applause:

More street..

Buy the L (will last forever!, 80% street, 20% dirt)

weighs 25 pounds more...than R

More Dirt...with occasional street

Buy the R (Still reliable but maybe not as much as the L, 80% Dirt, 20% street)

I'm thinking maybe 50/50.... I would love to have the R but I'm just worried that up-keep is going to kill me. The L is just a "ride and change oil bike"

yea what they said!

XR650L = compromise 80% street - 20% offroad (mild to medium difficulty trails and dirt / logging roads)

XR650R = no compromise - full on dirt bike 100% off road - can be modified for street use.

get the R. You can put all the miles you want on that bike and it will run......hard and strong for a long time..... You are in Texas correct, it gets hot there, and the L is an air cooled bike................

1 person likes this

More street..

Buy the L (will last forever!, 80% street, 20% dirt)

weighs 25 pounds more...than R

More like 45 pounds more than the R. After adding the dual sport stuff the R will be a little heavier, but still at least 30 pounds lighter. The L can last a long long time if taken care of. The R will last for a long time too. It also has much better preformance. While it is much higher preformance it is no CRF450. The 450 will be used up in no time compared to the 650R.

I now have the 06 XR650R in DS with the Dakar kit. I had a 03 with the same kit but it was stolen last year. :eek: The insurance gave me some money to replace the bike only, not all the stuff I put on. In late 2006 I looked all over for a better dual sport. I looked at KTM, BMW, the new KLR, Husky ect. I came right back and purchased the XR650R. I have the Dakar kit with the fantastic Acewell sp? speedo, Baja passenger pegs, FMF ti pipe, jetting, K&N filter, susp mods, ect. I have yet to put on my sprockets and Acerbis Exxon Valdez sp? tank.

On my 03 (the one that was stolen) I had the same mods and put many thousands of trail and road miles on it. It was perfect for reliability. Do your oil every 500k and your air filter when needed. Keep it clean and do your reg maintenance. :applause:

The bad side is your ass will hurt on long rides. Get a custom seat made. The other bad thing is range, about 100K with mods and you hit reserve. Get one of the IMS tanks. Acerbis is just toooo big!

Hope this info helps.

1 person likes this

I now have the 06 XR650R in DS with the Dakar kit. I had a 03 with the same kit but it was stolen last year. :eek: The insurance gave me some money to replace the bike only, not all the stuff I put on. In late 2006 I looked all over for a better dual sport. I looked at KTM, BMW, the new KLR, Husky ect. I came right back and purchased the XR650R. I have the Dakar kit with the fantastic Acewell sp? speedo, Baja passenger pegs, FMF ti pipe, jetting, K&N filter, susp mods, ect. I have yet to put on my sprockets and Acerbis Exxon Valdez sp? tank.

On my 03 (the one that was stolen) I had the same mods and put many thousands of trail and road miles on it. It was perfect for reliability. Do your oil every 500k and your air filter when needed. Keep it clean and do your reg maintenance. :applause:

The bad side is your ass will hurt on long rides. Get a custom seat made. The other bad thing is range, about 100K with mods and you hit reserve. Get one of the IMS tanks. Acerbis is just toooo big!

Hope this info helps.

Now that's what I like to hear! Lots of miles on a R!! Maybe that's the way to go. Just street that bitch and enjoy. How long till valve or top ends on the R?? Anyone know? Thanks everyone. This is really helpful.

The R has no different maint requirements than the L if they are both ridden the same, the valves need to be checked more since Honda assumes you will be abusing the piss out of it. Look at the valve intervals for a 600R vs a 650L even though they a =re essentially the same engine. The 650R is a much more durable bike than the 650L, much stronger frame, engine and should easily last just as long or longer.

1 person likes this

Get the R no more maintenance than the L and is much more capable! If you ride at all in sand you definately want the R, the L absolutely does not work in sand.

Sounds almost like you had your mind made up already...just make sure the street legalizing won't be a hassle...are you familiar with the laws for that in your state? Here they are cracking down, would be very difficult to make an R street legal...may be different in TX

Get the R, put on a lighting kit. The R is superior to the L in every respect....except maybe the seat.

I had to make the same decision a couple of years ago. I went with the L just because I wouldn't ever have to worry about getting the plate taken away. I already had a dirt-only bike, so when I want to go on tight singletrack I leave the 650L at home. But the 650L will go almost anywhere, just not as fast.

One more thing, the R looks better! :applause:

If you can DS the R in Texas, then it's the only way to go! We will just have to call you monkey ass man.:eek: