flatspin

how to 450X exhaust mod

104 posts in this topic

I just bought a new 450X out of the crate yesterday. I have done the airbox mod, installed the JD jet kit, and installed the emissions block off kit. I am new to 4 strokes and unclear on how to do the exhaust mod. I have the insert pulled out of my exhaust and am not sure what to keep and what to get rid of?

turns out it was not as simple as I thought, how do you remove the stock baffle from the screen insert, your first pic.

leave everything on your bike and just remove the one torx screw on the bottom that connects the baffle to the SA. You can see it on the top pic. Now you might need some channel locks and a flat head screw driver to get it out. either grab onto the little lip with the pliers and or get the screw driver behind the little lip and pry it out some. Once you get it out a little you should be able to use you hand with a glove on. Some are tougher than others but it will slide out.

sound, without the baffle it comes in right at 96 db but with it modded it comes in at 93. still more power at 96 and better throttle response

have you guys tried the bike without any baffle and without the plate with the 4 screws? it rips but makes you deaf!!! i couldnt stand it...

i have the entire inner baffle removed and i think its a bit to loud. Bike goes great but it will still go great with the inner baffle still fitted. I have lost my inner baffle so now im looking for an 05 CRF450R muffler. Apparently they are a bolt on item for my 06 450x where as the 06 450r will not bold straight on due to the sub frame design.

Can anyone confirm that the '05 450R pipe will bolt right on to the '05-'07 450X?

:applause: QUOTE=kanyonkritter;4737179] QUOTE=osheen;392017]I was riding in a secret riding area today and ran upon Paul Carpenter testing his new Midas exhaust system. He reported huge gains in power throughout the range, far more output than any White Brothers system he tried. It also retails for only $99 instead of $1500 (or whatever a new E-series goes for). It should be available to the public in the spring. It comes in a galvanized finish with a 100,000 mile rust through warranty. Contact your local Midas shop for more details.

fcfca2d4.jpgfcfca241.jpg

No actually, a guy I know wanted to keep his neighbors happy and grafted this exhaust on his CRF. This is for real. He bought the car muffler for $20 at Schuck's Auto and had a muffler shop make the connection piece. It is alot more quiet, you actually hear the intake and engine noise as much as the exhaust. He said it did stiffle the power considerably too but still rideable for a home track. It get real hot as well. Thought you guys would get a kick out of it. Can't wait to hear the comments!!!

Try this for a high-tech exhuast mod.:applause:

Can anyone confirm that the '05 450R pipe will bolt right on to the '05-'07 450X?

Yep the 05 r will work. I am running the pipe and header from an 06 r, it works great.

does anyone have the pictures of this mod

the pics in this post are not coming up

thanks

bill

what is the decibel level of the stock unit before any baffle modifications are made?

the sticker on the rear fender i believe says 82 dB at 5500 RPM

Pics courtesy of Devistation.

stock baffle assembly

Stockbaffle.jpg

Modified by cutting 2 of the disks off

9-04-06ModifiedBaffle004.jpg

9-04-06ModifiedBaffle002.jpg

9-04-06ModifiedBaffle001.jpg

does anyone have copies of these pics?

thank you

bill

TRUTH: The performance befit of a modified or race exhaust system for an armature competitor is minuscule and the benefit for recreational riders like myself is the loss of more ride areas. When I was young I used to think that older people like myself were just irritable over the beat of a load exhaust system but now that I am 50 I realize Im just mature enough to appreciate the sound of the ground breaking under my tires and the wind in my face which adds to the experience rather then take away. I wish my CRF450 was as quiet as my old DRZ400 and if I do change the exhaust on my 450x, it will be to go lighter and quieter like 90dbs, now that would be cool. Hopefully before Arizona starts restricting certain bikes like the air heads caused in California red sticker laws, Arizona new laws will impose heavy fines or permanent impoundments for not using a spark arrestor or violation of anything above 96 Db level.

Ok here you go. I just got them From Devistation. I hope these are the ones you wanted. He says it still keeps it quiet too.

Baffle.jpg

ModifiedBaffle001.jpg

ModifiedBaffle002.jpg

ModifiedBaffle003.jpg