Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Justin Pearson

06 YZ450F oil cooler??

11 posts in this topic

I was thinking of running a small oil cooler on my bike and noticed how easy it would be using the external oil return line on the lower right side of the motor.

Anyone else running a cooler??

Any reason the return line would be a bad idea??

The extra capacity alone would also be nice!! :applause:

The return line would be the best place for it, but the external line on the right of the engine is NOT an oil line, it's a vent to balance air pressure in the crankcase with the oil tank. The feed and return circuits are internal on the '06+ models.

Read through this:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476876

I don't know what either of mine get up to, but I'll check it if I think of it this weekend.

Oil does need to be at least 160 degrees or so in order to circulate well, and for the chemical processes, such as those that keep the acidity down and the fuel evaporated, can work properly. letting it go beyond 300 is usually not a good idea (this varies with individual oils).

I don't know what either of mine get up to, but I'll check it if I think of it this weekend.

Oil does need to be at least 160 degrees or so in order to circulate well, and for the chemical processes, such as those that keep the acidity down and the fuel evaporated, can work properly. letting it go beyond 300 is usually not a good idea (this varies with individual oils).

How you checking your oil temp? My Raytek will never fit.

All of my oil thermastats are set between 163 and 168 before opening and the oil usually runs about 200 under load. I highly doubt that I get my bike oil over 225.

Ever try a meat thermometer? (Don't tell Mama :eek: )

Tell her, heck I just called her and told her to caugh up the old one(she wouldn't). It was worth a try since I just bought her one of those remote radio types. :applause: mount receiver on bar pad, instant oil temp gauge while I'm :lol: get home and :lol: Oh well, of to Wallyworld.

A "G" seems a bit "proud" to me for a pair of rads and an oil cover. My worries with a setup like theirs is oil starvation after an oil change. All that hose and the fact it goes up quite high above the oil tank worries me.

I was thinking of a small XR style (or quad) oil cooler level with the tank and in front under the rads. Minimal heigth and plumbing. I wonder if just an aluminum tube coil would help enough, it would be pretty durable!!

I guess you could just kick the snot out of the bike while holding the kill to prime the system... :applause:

The CRF system linked in the other thread connects to the feed. That shouldn't surprise anyone, since it's a wet sump. Likewise, virtually all automotive oil coolers are, of necessity, on the feed circuit, simply because that's the only pressurized circuit there is in those cases. The return side is a better choice because it's a low pressure circuit, and you can run the full flow of the circuit through the cooler. On the feed side, the cooler must either be able to carry full system oil pressure, or carry only part of the oil by way of an orificed branch circuit.

As far as cooling before or after, there's no difference. Eventually, either one is cooling the oil before it returns to the heat source, and regardless of when you pull 5 BTU out of the oil, it's still gone.