Iridium plugs

I switched to the irdium plug and it definatly turned the beast into a 1 to 2 kick starter. 2000 XR650R uncorked XR's Only exhaust K&N Filter.

use to be a hard starter even after I found the starting procedure here on TT.

I am a believer and will use em from now on. Strange they do not make them for the XR400 though

not sure if performance gains will be seen, but the nd or ngk iridiums i install on toyotas at work are said to be 100k mile plugs.

I have a 2006 Tundra with the 4.7 V-8 4WD, I guess at 30K Toyota reccomends changin plugs to the iridiums - is that true?

yea I am looking only at a better spark and durability - found em cheap at www.sparkplugs.com

I pulled the plug on my 650 and it looks new! I have only replaced it one time after the uncorking and the bike only has about 2K on it, burning perfect and looked new so I left it in.

The XR250R has one in it and I hope it improves the cold and hot starts, not a real hard starter anyway - but just looking to meke it even better.

From what I've read they are more efficient, need less spark energy for a hot spark. I have a weak stator which I guess made my XR600 hard to start. A larger pilot jet, removing the resistor in the plug cap and an iridium plug, made it a 1-2 kicker. Also, I don't have a decompression cable, nor have I been using the drill. Just a couple of hard kicks. I think people who have weak ignition systems benefit most from the spark plug cap mod and iridium plugs. If yours is in good shape, your biggest benefit would be durability and piece of mind.

RT

No real performance gain, but they last forever and you dont need to carry a spare.

That's how I describe how the standard DPR8EA-9's work in my XR600. I've never had to replace a plug in a four stroke bike that didn't have some kind of problem. I usually put a new one in when I do any major work though.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...