HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JIMTED79

Need Help Please!!!

7 posts in this topic

Ok, I have this 2004 yz450f and I replaced the water seal, oil seal and water impeller shaft because I had coolant leaking out of the little hole under the water pump and alot of people on here told me this was the problem. Now its leaking worse than before, I just put everything in its place and put it back togather. Is there something I missed or should have done? I just bought this bike and I'm really thinking I should have just bought a new one instead.

Sounds like you may have put the coolant seal in backward. The lip of the seal needs to face the fluid it seals, in this case, the the coolant.

The hole under the shaft leads to a void space between the two seals so that any fluid the leaks past either one will leak to the outside rather than into the other volume. Oil in your coolant is messy. Coolant in your engine oil can be a disaster.

Sounds like you may have put the coolant seal in backward. The lip of the seal needs to face the fluid it seals, in this case, the the coolant.

The hole under the shaft leads to a void space between the two seals so that any fluid the leaks past either one will leak to the outside rather than into the other volume. Oil in your coolant is messy. Coolant in your engine oil can be a disaster.

Well I put everything back in the same way it came out but now that you say that it is used and he could have already replaced the seal and put it in backwards. Right now I have the flat part of the seal facing the coolant would you now if thats backwards?

Right now I have the flat part of the seal facing the coolant would you (k)now if thats backwards?
Yes. The lip of the seal needs to be facing the coolant.

Thanks greyracer513 fliped the seal, went for a good hard ride and not one drop out of that weep hole. Thanks for your help. I was about ready ditch this bike.